Cheap G5 speakers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hackcomic.com, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I'm looking for some desktop speakers for my G5. Used mostly for background music as I work but also for some film editing (Although final sound is done in a pro editing facility) I will hook up the optical out to my home surround system. But like I said, I want some small/ good speakers for my desktop. Maybe in the $50-$75 price range. Thoughts?

2. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i second the pro speakers, a lot of people bash them for not being audiophile quality, but i'd say they're more than sufficient for average use... you can throw on an iSub later if you want. The greatest benefit is, of course, the aesthetic appeal, and they are very elegant and understated.

paul

4. Squintz macrumors newbie

Apple pro speakers are awful

Don't buy the apple pro speakers. I've already returned two pairs because they've gotten really tinny sounding shortly after their first use. Besides, there are plenty of speakers out there that sound much better and include a subwoofer for less money, and the pro speakers are very limited in their power-handling capabilities.

5. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I doubt you'll be able to find speakers with optical for $50-75. I recently found new JBL Invaders at Best Buy on clearance for $80! Sorry :D just had to brag.

6. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually not looking for optical- I'm using the optical out for my home system. BUt I'll check my local Best Buy. And yea, I agree with the Apple speakers- my parents have those- I didn't like the sound.

7. BillClinton macrumors member

Re: Cheap G5 speakers?

I've got a pair of Logitech Z-340's hooked up to my G5. They sound pretty nice considering they were only like 40 bucks. Just some input.