Cheap GB RAM - Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dav, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    Well, turns out RAM is really not that expensive for this thing (that is, if you can replace it yourself)

Kingston 1GB DIMM - $130 (After Rebate)
  2. MacPhreak macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Problem is, you void the warranty opening it, and if you look at the photo of an opened Mac mini at the bottom of this page:

it doesn't look like the easiest thing in the world to open without a geniune Apple case cracker. Not quite sure how you'd open it, or how well it would take to being opened repeatedly. Everything I've ever tried to open that had tabs like that broke after the second or third opening.

My 2¢
  3. midnitevulture macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2004
    I know this is an unlikely option, but could you get Apple to install third-party memory? It's a bit f***ed up that if you want a GB they only let you use one that costs nearly what you paid for the computer.
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    you might be able to get a reseller to do it with RAM thats somewhat cheaper but not just RAM you bring yourself.
  5. wnameth macrumors 65816

Nov 18, 2004
    this is why the computer is so cheap, its not ment to be used as a PM. it is a good computer for a switch, or someone who doesn't want power and wants to save money!!!

smart move by apple... win the world over one user at a time :)