Cheap good scanner for Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by synergy, Mar 27, 2004.

1. synergy macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2002
    I've got a Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.3.
    Any good scanner recommendations? I am not looking for anything fancy. Just something simple to scan documents.
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've got the LiDE 30 and I love it. $80 and it's fast, small, light, and is powered off the USB bus. The software that comes with it is kind of crappy, but I always scan through Photoshop so I avoid it.
  3. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I just bought the next model down the range, the Canon LiDE 20. For the price (AUD $120) it does a good job of documents and photos, and the USB power is handy (no extra cables dangling around to worry about). I have to agree with the comment on the software...the included stuff is rubbish, so you are more or less forced to use something like the import-plugin through Photoshop.
  4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I have the Canon LiDE 30 too. It does a good job, scans look great... the best part is that it's very small and doesn't take up any more desk space than is necessary. Just slim and sleek, and not bulky like most other brands.

EDIT: also, it came with Adobe Photoshop Express, so you can scan through that if you don't own the regular version of Photoshop
  5. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Jul 17, 2002
    Corvallis, OR
    I have recommended the Canon LiDE series to several of my clients, and I use one myself. They are very fine scanners for the price (from US$40 for the LiDE 20, to US$150 for the LiDE 80). Personally, I don't find that I have nearly as much of an issue with the CanoScan ToolBox as the previous posters seem to have. I've never used PhotoShop to scan images in, only the ToolBox. While I'll agree that the interface isn't great (it's rather reminiscent of Windows XP), it seems to be very functional software, and does allow for the one-button scanning from the scanner buttons (although it'd be nice if the ToolBox would quit after performing a one-button scan).