Cheap HD cams with 1394 interface to Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by averron, Aug 26, 2006.

1. averron macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006
    Hi, I'm looking for a very small HD cam (like the Sony HDR-HC3) that is known to be able to work with a Mac over firewire, and that can also be used as a source in Quicktime Broadcaster... Any suggestions?

2. Drizzt macrumors member

Feb 18, 2006
    Canon has the new consumer-oriented HV10 that unfortunately like the HC3 has no 1/8th-inch or XLR mic inputs, which leaves you to resort to the built-in mic or a proprietary mic. I don't think QuickTime Broadcaster can handle live streaming of HDV, although it can do H.264 compression live, so I'm really not sure.

Sony also had the now discontinued HC1, which has 1/8th-inch mic input. You can find these on eBay and even B+H. It was and still is very highly regarded for its small size, price, and image quality trifecta. The HC3 is better rated at low-light, but the two have comparable results.

JVC has the GR-HD1 that has rather bad image quality compared to the previous three. I would not necessarily recommend it.
  3. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    The Sony works fine with the Mac, but you wouldn't get HD with QT Broadcaster. Too much bandwidth probably. I'm sure it could down convert to standard def though. But I know QT itself will work with HD, as well as any apps that use it like Final Cut or iMovie.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't know what you consider cheap, but expect to spend over $1000 for the cheapest HD cam you can find.
  5. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    Personally I feel that if you are going cheap that you would get more for your money with an SD cam then what you would for an HD cam. HD cams are still new so you are going to pay at least $1000. I would recommend going with a 3CCD SD cam, you will get a great picture plus not have to worry about computer requirements for editing the video, HD requires higher end processing.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, most, I do recall seeing a really low end one that didn't, all MiniDV cams come with Firewire ports.