Cheap Hitachi Lappy HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lloyd1994, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Lloyd1994 macrumors member

Great deal for anyone who wants a little more power for their 'book: Hitachi 7k60. I'm still holding out for the 100GB 7200RPM models, but $133 shipped is pretty tempting.

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

does anyone know how the drive compares to the tiBook's stock Toshiba 60GB drive regarding noise and heat..?

I'm thinking 'bout that 7200RPM drive for a while now, hmm maybe for X-mas... ;)

vSpacken

3. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I can't speak to the Toshiba 60 gig, but I recently upgraded to this 7k60 from the 10 gig that came stock with an old Ti400. Definitely much quicker, produces no more heat or noise than the old drive. Probably less noise considering I don't notice it at all.

Of course I spent close to 200 American a couple months ago to get the drive. Oh well.

Matt

4. bdomz macrumors member

I got the hitachi drive from Dell, it was a pretty good deal but I had to pay tax since I live in NC. Plus it was backorderedd and took 2 extra weeks to get. Still it was $40 cheaper than any other place on the web. If you need a drive now I would jump on this deal, this is a great laptop drive! But it would be nice to have the upcoming 100gig drive in there, I would expect some serious shortages for a while after it comes out though, the 7k60 was pretty hard to find for a while and really expensive until recently.

5. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

that's good, thanks for the info :)

this means I'll upgrade my 1Ghz tiBook to 1Gig Ram and the 7200RPM drive round X-mas... should result in a nice speed boost :cool:

vSpacken