Cheap ISP for traveling the US?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, May 19, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003
    Just got an iBook, and use it with my cable connection at home (Comcast). When I start traveling, I will want to dial up for internet access. Since I already pay $50 for my cable connection at home, what is the cheapest method for dial-up access out there?
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    I like Earthlink, a year's prepaid subscription comes to $21.95 a month. That isn't very good, but they do offer lots o dial up lines in just about every city.

Try contacting the cable company and see if they have a nation wide dialup add on, or if they have one that they can recommend. DSL subscribers often have this option, and though I haven’t heard of cable companies doing the same, they might if they are large enough. If your not happy with cable and your contract is up, it might be worth trying a DSL/dial up combo from your phone company , Sprint/Earthlink, Verizon, etc... Also, some cell phone companies offer dialup access through your cell for as little as$20 U.S. a month.

I just dropped my ISP and will start using T-Mobile HotspotT-Mobile’s Hotspots at $.10 a minute, because all I need to do is update my website and download my email, which takes about 10 minutes a week. T-Mobile Hotspots are available at Starbucks and Borders, as well as many air ports. There is no contract. Perhaps a good solution if you need digital speed and limited contact time with the net.

Another thread about Hotspots: Wireless T-mobile Hotspot- Has anybody used them with their Mac?

Post Script: Because I answered this post, there will now be a dozen better solutions below. :)
  3. andrewlandry macrumors member

Jul 3, 2002
    also Earthlink has a plan that is $9.95 a month for 10 hours of dial-up access. it can be useful in traveling emergencies.