Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheap-Chopstix

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
in a tree
Since it seems like alot of you peoples have experience with a lot of laptops both Mac and PC I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on buying a notebook for my mother's business. All she needs is a cheap notebook to get store sales off cash registers and into a spreadsheet program on a computer. I am looking into getting A) a used notebook or B) a refurb. Any tips on what to look for when buying used or refurb. Looking to spend under $800 canadian pesos.

Thanks in advance.

tazo

macrumors 68040
well at 800 canadian that is just under 600 US, which really limits your options for a used 'book.

A mac notebook that will run a modern OS like OS 9 or OS X would be a clamshell
which i found for 600 dollars US here:
http://www.macofalltrades.com/produ...6IB2&mscssid=UAS2BSHXFN119MJ77VBDPR3WGV1T52CE

For a used/refurbished pc notebook I would look to dell.(com/ca) and their refurbished section [http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/default.htm]

Don't take anything less than a 300mhz g3 for macs, or 600 mhz for a pc.

Hope that helps.

-tazo

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I've seen refurb white ibooks (base model) going for about £500 ($750US) in the Apple refurb store. This is a little bit more than you wanted to pay but it'd be quite a bit faster than a clamshell....also the UK price includes 17.5% sales tax so if you can find similar where you are it'd be cheaper

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Look around on eBay and other auction sites - You can usually get a great deal there. I had a great experience, though, selling my 800 MHz TiBook on powerbookcentral.com. They have a classifieds section where people sell their used machines. It's a great forum, and you could probably find a great deal on an iBook.

I just looked, and as an example, a fella is selling the following:

Dual usb white 600mhz ibook
256 ram
16mb vram
20 gig hd
24x cd-rom
airport card installed
brand new lcd screen
brand new screen latch
brand new ac adapter
applecare warranty through spetember 03

-asking $700 +shipping

Screen/latch and ac adapter were replaced by apple through remaining applecare warranty

That would probably be perfect for your Mam's needs. BTW, the iBook part is near the bottom of the classfieds page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.