cheap laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jsh3d, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jsh3d macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005
    I went over to the dark side a few years back because macs were starting to look like they were on their way out... but now things are looking up and I'm thinking of coming back. I'd like to get a really cheap, like $400 or $500 laptop that can run OS X (panther) to play around with. From what I've found, it looks like either a ibook 500 or a pismo 500 are in that range.

I won't be doing anything really serious on them, just surfing the web and doing work on the road and stuff. And maybe some quick coding and photoshop. So, obviously I'll need one with wifi, etc.

The ibook to me looks cooler (and that's important ;)), and is smaller and lighter, and more unique (I see tons of pismos around, but maybe that's just me). But the pismo might be faster, and has more expandability. Which would be a better one to get? Are there any others that would be better? Are either of these going to be able to run os x without being unbearable slow?

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Do you really see more Pismos around than iBooks? Because Pismos are somewhat rare now that they've been discontinued a few years while iBooks are in their fourth or fifth generation.

Anyway, a 500MHz laptop is not going to run OS X great, especially if you plan to load Photoshop on there, but it will probably suffice. A new iBook is only $1000. I personally would recommend at least a 700MHz iBook G3 with 640MB RAM or more, but that's just me. Others might have different recommendations.
  3. jsh3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005
    heh, yah, I'd really like to get something better but I really don't see having more then $500 to spend on this for like, a really long time. You know how that goes.

4. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    i would recommend at least a G4 iBook. The G4 steps up performance significantly.
  5. jsh3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005
    has anybody ever seen a tibook as low as $500? I'm guessing not, but that'd be better than either a pismo or an ibook ;)

6. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Jul 16, 2004
    I just bought a damaged 1GHZ PB G4 off ebay for $256.45, the logicboard was fried (the goof spilled wine on it). So I went back on ebay and bought another logic for $200 same model and now I have a almost like new Titan 1GHZ PB running like new (I also bought 1GB ram and 100GB HDD to give it a extra kick) .

You could go that way if you know how to do the hardware or do it and take it to repair place.
  7. jsh3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2005
    How would a tibook with a g4 400 be compared to the ibook and pismo? I could afford that I think.

8. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2004
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have an iMac G3 400 Mhz loaded with Panther (10.3) and it runs pretty adequately , not as fast as the newer computers but its good enough, i would say an ibook 500 or a pismo 500 would surely run OS X but only for small task such as email, music, web but the moment you load photoshop in there be prepared to become a little frustated at the render and load times, anything 400 mhz and up thats at least a G3 will work, just make sure you add an adequate amount of ram 196 minimun (if your on a tigh budget) which is what i have in that iMac but i would recommend 512 or more. I do highly recommed just saving and getting a new iBook for $1000 USD + tax their gonna come preloaded with tiger now and are a lot faster than and who knows rumors say their gonna update them and make them faster within the next few days ;)
  9. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota

I just fell off my chair.
    I will be sending you my dentist bill!

ROFL @ Wine