Cheap Laser Printers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Yanus, Feb 26, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Looking for a cheap laser printer to work with airport express. The ones I've picked dont seem to have OSX drivers!

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I've had the best luck recently with Brother printers, however, do your research to see that there is a Mac OSX driver for the specific model you are looking at.

3. macrumors 603

iSaint

I bought a Brother HL 2070N for $99. The Brother driver didn't work and I had to use the comparable HP driver, though. Works fine now!

4. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

wat do u mean by cheap...

printers are one of those things that are prone to disasters if you buy cheap things...i'd be careful how cheep you go...

5. macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

get a dell 3110cn for around 500$ from sams club or dell

it is a color laser

it has osx driver on cd

optonal double sided printing, wifi printing over 1 gig upgradeable ram and supports additional paper trays

had it for a year and print religiously comes with 5000K toners and the toner level hasnt even droped a notch

the average user should get 2-3 years on these cartridges easy
    remember this is a WORKGROUP laser

i about a big of fan of dell as i am M$oft
    but let me tell you the make a excelent top notch laser
    check the reviews on cnet its like an 8.5

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I,m looking for a monochrome, perhaps similar to the HP 1022, expecting to pay £80 to £100 (pounds sterling). Prefer Canon but no assurance that drivers are available. Anyone got a working system in this range?

7. macrumors 6502a

I generally prefer Canon as well (atrocious experiences with Epson and HP) but they don't publish laser printer drivers in English. There is a Japanese CAPT driver that I grabbed to connect my LBP3000 direct to my PB and iMac CD (and it works most of the time but has a problem with sharing). I just tried it with Airport Express and it did not work, although I only spent a couple of minutes on it (the iMac saw the printer via Bonjour but could not connect - ideas anyone?).

8. macrumors 6502

I like my HP

Got the 1012 model 2 years ago for less than $150. That thing is still going strong and works great wirelessly with the Airport.

9. macrumors 65816

lord patton

I love mine, too, but its successor, the 1020, has had a significant issue with Macs: no drivers. But maybe this has been fixed.

If it has, then the 1020 is a highly recommended B&W laser. Look for it for $125 after rebates.

10. macrumors 65816

eenu

I have the 1010 and all of my macs have never needed a driver......in fact i have had a 1020 on my iMac and it didnt need a driver.

11. macrumors 68000

e12a

The dell is based on a Xerox engine.

I have an old Samsung ML-1710. After installing some drivers for it, it works flawlessly. Warm up time could be shorter though. I think the newer models are quicker in that respect.

12. macrumors 603

Probably a lot of printers are just fine, but I'll second that I've had good luck with Brother recently. Their Mac drivers are quite good, they're reliable, toner is reasonable, and warm-up times are short.

I think they have (or had) a model that had wireless actually built in, although if you're going to go really cheap USB is of course your best bet.

13. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have found Brother laser's work without any problems. :)

FJ

14. macrumors 603

iSaint

The Brother also has a network card installed...