Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xoreu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Just as a follow-up to all this, lest anyone think this story has a happy ending:

After a week of silence, I finally received a follow-up email, the contents of which clearly showed the whole thing was a scam.

I found it pretty obvious, but I'd like to thank everyone, FFTT in particular, for warning me.

On the downside, I'm still without a Mac. :( I guess I'll just have to stick with the original wait-until-Leopard idea.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but at least you still have your $325.00
towards your next machine.

Hang in there and I think you'll really be happy once you finally get a machine
worth all the waiting.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Alright, considering you can get a mini and a display for about $400 these days, I think that's really the way to go. Otherwise, an iMac G5 is looking pretty pretty for you.

xoreu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Alright, considering you can get a mini and a display for about $400 these days, I think that's really the way to go.
Really? I have not seen any Mac Minis listed for anything cheaper than $600, and they don't seem to be going much cheaper on eBay. If anyone knows of a good site with cheap prices, I'd love to know of it.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
You should be able to pick up a 1.25 GHz or 1.42 GHz single processor
G4 mini for less than $400.00
Some may come with Combo Drive some with Superdrive and they'll come with 32 MB VRAM. Hopefully if you find one, the owner upgraded the RAM to
1 GB.

A display might run you $150-$200.

It'll do O.K. for all the basics, but doesn't even come close to the Core Duo's

It would be an affordable start into OS X, but if this purchase is a big deal for you, I'd hold out until you can afford a MacBook or the mid-level iMac.

xoreu

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I have a monitor that I can live with (for now), so that isn't my biggest concern. Like I said, however, I haven't found a sub-400 mini anywhere - not on eBay, not on Froogle.

Are there any specific sites you'd recommend looking at?

[EDIT]
Probably the cheapest thing I've seen so far is the $519 refurbished model on sale today at the Apple Store.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A refurb is still your safest purchase unless you're buying from someone you know.

You can also check some of the better resellers to see if they have any new old stock mini's that they might be willing to part with for a clearance price.

Most of them are O.K., but it's a good idea to check here before you plunk down your savings.

I still think you should be patient and save up for a MacBook or an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.