Cheap Mac Stores?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by starsaber13, Feb 1, 2003.

1. starsaber13 macrumors member

:confused: I am a windows user:( .I want to use a mac but find the products to be high on apple.com Is there any online stores that sell them cheap.I reall want to get rid of my windows machine.I hate it!

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Are you looking for software or the acually hardware?

Apple like price fixes all of their hardware at or around there posted prices, if your a student I heard you can sign up for a student discount or if you are in other 'speciallized' feilds.

For Apple software, it is found almost everywhere.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

New apple products are going to be around the same price no matter where you go. The good thing about places like MacWarehouse and MacMall are that they will give you extras when you buy a new mac there. Usually the online stores like those offer free ram or a free printer, but if you order from them you cannot customize it like you can at the apple store. There is member here who works at a retailer called General Cybernetics who is supposed to have pretty good deals.

4. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Great deals can be had on eBay...but buddy let me tell you, you gotta be careful on there when dealing with high dollar items such as computers. eBay can save you a lot of money, but it can also screw you all to hell. Take, for example, my nightmare...I'm still waiting on my refund:
    My fiasco
    Good deals can also be found here on this site..in the for sale/trade forum. I bought a top of the line iMac (albeit a 15") last week for an unheard of price of $1100. This exact setup sells for over $1400 on eBay.
    iMac purchase

Everywhere else will be very close to Apple's retail. If you can stomach the risk, you can save some serious money by using eBay/message boards. It's like (or was like) investing in webvan...a little risky, if ya know what I mean---but when you win, you win big.

My thoughts.......coolbreeze

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i wouldnt buy from macmall or them if i were you. especially since you are new to mac. when you go to your local reseller to get some help, it wont be very fair to them to give you free support when you werent even kind of enough to purchase it from them. if your local reseller is an official apple store then order wherever you want. because they will give you lots of support no matter where you bought it because they know where the computer came originally.

iJon

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I HATE customers like that! they come in and want you to talk them through a problem they're having. :mad:

him : 'i can't get my modem to work..'
    me : 'did you buy it here?'
    him : 'no..'
    me (stuffing his body into one of the dumpsters out back) : 'dumbass'

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wow do you work at a retail center, if so what kind. you know we could have some pretty interesting stories. like how macmall and macwarehouse are the devil.

iJon

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Cheap Mac Stores?

As many have said... prices are roughly the same everywhere... this is due to minimum prices that are set by Apple.

Now... there are some retailers that do include "extras" for free... though these tend to be minimal (ram or a printer)... and they often charge "install" fees that are not negligble.

The main advantage of mail order (not from Apple) is that you may not get charged Tax from other places.

A final factor, is that you could considering supporting sponsors of this site.... :) As continued support of them will continue to support this site. PowerMax is currently a regular advertiser on this site.

arn

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've been postjacking threads all week...
    I used to work at a Pc shop but got out of it, I couldn't deal with those assclowns. On a side note, we're getting ready to start our own retail electronics , though most of the sales will be ebay based. That's a entierly different group of dumbasses.

What is wrong with Macmall? I know a know a great guy over there... never ordered anything from him though. :confused:

On a side note: it's 1am on the east coast, and I'm kinda hungry.. might go get some late nite pizza.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i really wasnt serious about the macmall thing. im just stating that for an independent reseller its hard to compete with their promotions. i mean when you sell someone an apple computer you probably make like 1-2% profit (like most retail selling), its just hard to give away batteries, ram, printers, and things like that. most other resellers in my region feel the exact same way. we just try to sell our support which usually over powers mail order with most consumers. although we can usually match most mail order promotions. and since apple doesnt care much about resellers apple leaves us hanging on some promotions, like double your ram for like 40 dollars, how the hell is someone suppose to match that. but thats the life of business. but everything works out in the end. from working there, i almost try to buy most of my stuff from local places at all possible.

iJon

11. starsaber13 thread starter macrumors member

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You should post what price range you are in. what things you need in a computer. And think about a local reseller or supporting a favorite site like here.

13. starsaber13 thread starter macrumors member

No stores near.

There are no stores with apple products around me for about 60 miles.Im getting an ibook:D

14. djbombjack macrumors member

I gotta say, I ordered my 12" PB (fully loaded) from Powermax, and was very happy with the service they offered me - honest and reliable.

And the best part?
    No tax...:D

15. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

16. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

if prices are too high new, buy refurbished. Make sure it's APPLE FACTORY REFURBISHED so you get the 1-year warranty. That's how I got my iBook (from Small Dog), I saved 250 bucks and when it came, it was identical to a new one, except for the box it came in (generic brown cardboard instead of fancy 4-color shiny stuff). I literally couldn't tell the difference between it and a new one. Ran the hardware test cd just to make sure, and everything came up ok. Been using it for at least 6 months now with no problems.

I would definitely buy from Small Dog again, and I think I would buy a refurb.

17. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

That's an oxymoron ;) :D