cheap macs.. are these guys for real?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chibianh, May 23, 2005.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001
  2. jdogg707 macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2004
    I am going to guess here and say I am almost 100% sure they are a joke.
  3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    A quick googling turns up this:
    This dude thinks that it can't be for real. There's a slightly NSFW anime weird iMac bondi blue woman, that was apparently their old logo.,13333834~start=20
    Also, here the whois is totally bogus, as there is no 1th street, haha

if you think it is too good to be true, it probably is...

Just save some money, stick it in an interest bearing account and get your Mac that way? :D

I'm almost 99% sure it's not legit. I hope you haven't placed an order.. and remember if they want cash or the $$ to be wired directly to them... don't do it.
    HAVE A PAPER TRAIL, just be safe.
  4. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Of course this is not "real", most likely some type of bait and switch or outright scam.

Good name for a scam site. Try and google it, everything but this store comes up, makes it hard to check out.

But go ahead a order, let us know how it works out ;)
  5. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Man! Not a very good joke. Someone wasted an awful lot of time on that site.
  6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    When buying from a third party site, it's always best to check Apple's Online Reseller page. If the site was really an "authorized reseller" they would be on this page. Someone should report this to Apple.
  7. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
  8. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    this reminds me of the macwhiz thread from last year. a lot of people got done out of a load of money. a quick search of the forums will bring it up but im too lazy the link it! :D
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Google is your friend. Search on their "local" phone number 380-39-7000008, which is in the Ukraine,

See,13333834 & -- same phone number, previous scam site

Site registered April 10 2005, registrant in California.

It is obviously a fraud -- just look at the prices and you should never have to ask. No joke, jdogg, these guys are out to rip off serious amounts of cash.
  10. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    Also, since when is UA a state abbreviation? Unless were talking Canada or something it even more B.S.
  11. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Thats so funny! Just earlier today I was looking at old threads and I happened to stumble across that one. It was so cool all of the interesting ways members contributed in that thread to help somehow.
  12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I like the Mac mini on the "specials" page...$399.50 for one or $3999.50 for a ten-pack! Yes, you have have to pay an extra $4.50 more for the ten-pack than if you bought ten single ones.

This is a good one too from the "contacts us" page: "Please note that due to the large volume of correspondence we receive, we are only able to respond to the inquiries that are of interest to us." In other words, when we rip you off, we won't bother responding to your messages because they won't be of interest to us. At least they've covered their butts with that one. :cool:
  13. ChemicalGeoff macrumors member

May 20, 2005
    Coventry, UK
    Don't get me started on that thread.. i was up till 4am the other day reading it, i got toally hooked it was like the best TV drama but better!

It's.... so..... big!
  14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    You mean that email address? is in the Ukraine, and UA is the country code.
  15. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    It was this address, the return shipment address that I was referring to:

Smart Computers
    Attn: Returns Department
    (Place your RMA number on this line)
    20th , Melnickaya str. ,
    2nd floor , Mettle Building
    Odessa, UA 65050

I guess it could be Ukraine or something. Just thought it was strange.
  16. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    total scam. when you click 'buy now' it says their online ordering is down and to email your order instead. then the next thing they'll probably say is that their credit card machine isn't working and ask you to mail a money order or cashiers check to them.

The picture at the bottom of the About Us page is a little bit suspect too... right next to the academic reseller section no less!
  17. win_convert macrumors member

Mar 12, 2004
    If you have to ask the question the answer is always yes.
    Or due to the peculiar wording of your question, no.
  18. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    One person I found sent them an email and got this in return:
  19. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Jul 19, 2002
    After reading that convincing e-mail from them, I now HAVE TO pick up a 20-pack of 1.67 GHz laptops.

I can see it now ...

<picturing the arrival of my package>

I rip open the boxes and pull out the shiny, new Apples.

I set them up and start doing all I ever dreamed of.

Suddenly, a knock at the door.

It opens ...

Dang! ... only lunch ...

"Hey guys, can you loosen these long white sleeves so I can eat ...

And let me know when my package arrives!"

<yum ... liver and brussel sprout paté with stale saltines ... just like yesterday>

Do I have it good or what?

20. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    It's a joke - one Mini for $399.50 or 10 for $3999.50 :rolleyes:

Just not a very funny one, really. Waste of webspace heh.

21. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Jul 19, 2002
    They probably won't find it to be a waste of time if they can suck in even a couple of foolish people to order something and wire the money ... under a different name no less. That makes it sound SOOOOOOOOO legit!
  22. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    the joke would be on anyone stupid enough to think this is legit...
  23. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    So if I read that correctly, we, in the west donated money to charites over there because they were in need. The charities used the money to buy computers that they couldn't use because the computers had North American power supplies, so now they want to sell the computers back to us to re-coop some of the money.

Makes sense to me.

I'm making out a big fat check now for the next *charity* that knocks on my door so they can buy more stuff they can't use and then sell back to me at a discount.

24. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Can this thread just be closed?

I'm so sick of seeing Western Union money transfer mac scams around here.

Bottom line - if they want Western Union, don't use.

25. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    It ceased being about the original question around the third post. Since it has been about how ridiculous the whole website/scam is which I find entertaining.