Cheap Ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by munkees, Jun 22, 2006.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I just purchased 2GB DDR2 of ram for $168 from datamem, with shipping it was 180.50. This is ram will fit any of the new intels. I ask the apple guy at the store, and he showed me the apple memory in the box going for $300 per 1 GB, wow, I told him rip off, and he agreed

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just make sure you got the right type.

iMacs, for example, use 200-pin DDR2. Don't get the 240-pin one.

But everyone knows that Apple rips off users on RAM.

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

4. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

I have the correct ram it's in my Mac at them moment. True need to watch out on ram, that why I pick my memoey reseller carefully, see if they under stand Macs, Datamem, test there memory on macs, also they have warrenties etc. I now they are good, I purchased some mem for and old imac, one chip came DOA, they shipped me a new one before I even returned the DOA.

It is important to find a memory reseller that is technical about the systems. I see the other ones on the web that bulk sell mem, and they, when you call them they don't understand macs.

Another good vender is memoryx or memory 10, these guy I used years ago for Sun memory, there price a little here than datamem

5. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Generally I think it's wise not to bargain shop for RAM. I once had a long conversation with a former Apple engineer about this and while I don't quite remember the technical aspects of his case, it came down to performance and particularly stability. Apple's RAM is more expensive, but I believe it to be superior to most of the RAM out there.

That said, you can find the same chips they use elsewhere for less if you look around. They'll still be a bit more expensive than the bargain chips out there, but not dramatically so. Also, I believe the Techworks chips which OWC sells to be of similar quality.