Cheap Scanner for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by taijuan, May 17, 2006.

1. taijuan macrumors member

I was running a microtek scanmaker 6000 on my old iMac 1Ghz G4 and it worked OK. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro 1.83 and at first it would let me make 4 or 5 consecutive scans before crashing and now the software interface won't even open. Scanmaker 5 crashes on startup and at the same time makes all the USB peripherals plugged into the same port unusable as well.

Need a recommendation from someone using a scanner with a MacBook Pro. I don't need anything fancy. I just need to scan bills and receipts into PDF files.

Any help would be appreciated, because I don't really need to buy another scanner that doesn't work.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Have you upgraded Scanmaker 5 to ver 7.5 for Tiger support?

3. taijuan thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have upgraded to Scanmaker 5 ver 7.53. It doesn't work any better than what shipped in the box ver7.16.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Darn. Goood luck getting tech support from Microtek.

Before you buy anything, get in writing that intel/rosetta is supported. Drivers are a huge issue in the scanner world.

5. taijuan thread starter macrumors member

Would still like to hear if anyone is using a MacBook Pro with a scanner successfully and if so which brand.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

use a hp 1210 (around 90 bucks) and use it as a scanner, their scanner software is UB

7. mzd macrumors 6502a

kinda old news, but i just got an iMac and am experiencing the same problems. any updates? ScanMaker 5900 for me. latest drivers from microtek just don't seem to work on intel macs. :mad:
    i was thinking maybe looking into unix drivers, but the scanner isn't supported with SANE either. it sucks because i specifically didn't buy a multi-function printer with my mac because microtek's site said 10.4 was supported. :mad:

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I use a Canon LIDE 500F. It is really small, USB powered, and does a good job. Not great if you need a feeder. No problems with Intel Macs.