Cheap way to cool a PowerBook 15 inch

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by aussie_geek, Jan 22, 2005.

1. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I was starting to get a little concerned with the temperature of my 15 inch so I thought about some ways to cool the little firecracker. After reading reviews on laptop cooling platforms, I didn't think that they were relevant because of the price and the fact that I already have an iCurve. The cooling stands are about $70 au and I didn't feel like forking out that type of cash.

I have recently acquired a 20 inch cinema display (which is excellent by the way :D) to use as the main monitor with my PowerBook and I noticed the temperatures were increased compared to using the PowerBook by itself. I have been using temperature monitor to assess the temperature of the PowerBook and I was finding that the temperature was in excess of 63 degrees :eek:.

I have found a solution for my dillemma. It involves a USB fan - I got mine for $20 au. You can get them cheaper on ebay but I was impatient and wanted to try my idea today :p.

I loaded up the CPU by running iTunes playing an songs with the visualiser set to large within the iTunes window. The CPU was running at 90 - 95 percent capacity according to iPulse - a system monitoring program.

So, after some experimentation with the fan's position I have found exactly where to put it in relationship to the PowerBook to achieve the best cooling effect. I know this setup will not be useful for people who don't run an external display but for those who do, it may be helpful.

I have included the positioning of the fans and the temperature readings below.

aussie_geek

Attached Files:

2. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Interesting, Thanks!

I was thinking of purchasing a USB fan for my self but I guess I should also think of my PB as well and not just me :p

3. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i have found that any way to move air under your machine is the best way. I currently have my thinkpad sitting on a cheap laptop stand, with an old pc exaust fan blowing air underneath. nice and cool .

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

lol thats exactly what i do when i download from bittorrent overnight. i found that it works best when you place the fan behind the computer right by the hinge where the vents are.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I bought a USB fan for myself when i had an ibook for High school, my school dind't have A/C so i bought it and I was cooler in may and june, everyone was so jelous :cool:

6. aussie_geek thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

doh!! - -and I thought I was the only one who developed this thermal exchange system!! :p

aussie_geek

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The reason your lappy gets hotter when you use an external display is because the graphics card is being used more-- it must drive two displays.

And I just pour water on my PowerBook. It works pretty well, gets it cooled off fast, but it turns off whenever I do it....:p

8. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Interesting thread - I just got a FlyFan off Ebay, should be at the house tomorrow. I plan to use it as 'slipper' describes.

I've been trying for about a year now to find a PC exhaust fan that's USB powered, and just carry that - but was unsuccessful. I suppose I could have tried adapting the power cable myself, but I'm too lazy.

I also don't want to carry around one of those "laptop pads" that has a fan embedded in it - my suitcase is already too full.

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I just put a book under my powerbook and get a fan blowing under it when it gets really hot. But that rarely occurs.