*cheap* webcam advice (NOT isight)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vtprinz, Mar 14, 2007.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I'll start by saying by "cheap" I mean no iSight. I can't afford a $100+ webcam. In fact I'd like to keep it under $50. The Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Deluxe has a rebate that makes it $40 right now, and I've checked macam and it says that it works with that cam, but I've also read on these forums that macam is outdated and doesn't work with Tiger. I've searched through a ton of threads but everyone keeps saying to buy an iSight. I'm a poor college kid moving off to grad school and can't afford an iSight, but I'd like to have something, even if the video quality sucks, to keep in touch with my girlfriend.

So should I trust macam that the Quickcam for Notebooks Deluxe will work or is there a better poor-mans choice?

2. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I'm looking at the QuickCam Communicate STX. On sale for $30 and can do 30fps (just realized the one mentioned above can only do 15fps) I've read one person that said it works, but another that said, while it technically worked, using skype it would always give a way-to-bright washed out video. Again, macam says it works, but can that be trusted?

3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

10.4.9 added support for USB Video cameras, but only those that support the USB standard, not just some no-name VFW drivers. I'm sure other will chime in with new and supported models.

4. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

This linux page lists a number of UVC USB devices that ( in theory ) should work with the new UVC OSX Drivers.

http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

5. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

6. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Logitech Communicate STX?

7. colocolo macrumors 6502

If I recall correctly, that's simply a patch to make USB webcams works with iChat; it doesn't include any webcam drivers.

Since 10.4.9, ichatusbcam shouldn't be needed.

(Am I correct? Can someone confirm this? Haven't looked into it much)

8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have the quickcam for notebooks deluxe and it works fine with skype. The rightlight corrector thing is a big help. I'm not using it on a mac but I seem to recall mac software being included in the package.

I use it to call my parents since my cheap college self won't pay for a home phone line when I'm already paying $40/mo for internet.

9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

It's a little more complicated than that. ichatusbcam will allow you to use ANY USB camera provided that the manufacturer has drivers for OSx (not likely) OR the camera works via macam. 10.4.9 only allows UVC webcams to work natively. Someone already posted a link to these webcams that are UVC compliant. Just so you know, UVC is a fairly new driver, so you'll have to get a newer model camera. No cheapies here.

With that said, I can confirm that macam works great on my set up. In fact, let me recommend a webcam for ya: the eyetoy. I purchased a 15 dollar sony eyetoy off ebay - complete with a game to sell to help recuperate my purchase - and while it's no isight in terms of quality, it's the best 15 dollar webcam in the world! Good framerate and decent colors, plus a built in microphone! It won't work in ichat without ichatusbcam, but it works great with skype, and funny enough, photobooth.

10. Lenzy macrumors newbie

i need help

i bought this webcam from argos called "MIKOMI" and i got a mac obviously but i aint sure how to install it please contact me to help me my e-mail is josh_leo_1989@hotmail.com thanx

11. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I second eyetoy its a really good camera and its tiny good quality built in mic its all there plus manual focus which can be a plus so you can get in really close.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just to throw it out... the XBox camera is a cheap alternative that has been documented to work (reasonably well) with OS X. Easy to find, and isn't overly ugly either.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sony just announced the next-gen replacement for the EyeToy:

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/...Eye--Camera/story.xhtml?story_id=12200EWSUHUU

It's in Black. :D I wonder if it might work with OS X, and if it might end up being a good additional option, especially when paired with black display bezels? It has a fairly nice sounding feature set. Not the original external iSight, but still nice.

14. ceek macrumors member

ceek

ichatusbcam works!

Here-here. Works great. Still can't get the camera to function in Skype, but I use iChat much more (pretty much exclusively).

I must confess that I can't stand the fact that I had to spend $50 at Best Buy and then another $10 as soon as I got home. But it sure beats another trip to the store, or--worse yet--having to purchase a highly overpriced iSight (although it is quite attractive).

So ichatusbcam has my vote!

Ceek

15. afd macrumors 6502a

I bought a £20 Logitech QuickCam Chat from tesco. Works fine with My G5 iMac and Tiger. Using both Macam and ichatusbcam. Have also used an itoy with my G4 powerbook successfully.