Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syclone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Syracuse, NY
Hi All - First Time I have really posted anything not in response to a rumor... my situation is as follows:

I take a good deal of pictures with my 5MP digital camera and store/organize them with iPhoto. For a long time, I've been wanting to share them over the web, but I really don't have the time to upload them to something like webshots every time I shoot. Recently, I've been introduced to the myPhot and iPhotoWebShare programs which share your library via php scripts using Personal Web Sharing. So far its been pretty handy, but my only Apple machine is a Powerbook that is constantly leaving the house, so sometimes the site is there and sometimes it isn't.

To solve this problem, I've been thinking of picking up an old box, shoving a big HD in it, moving my iPhoto library over to it and using it only to serve photos. I really don't want to spend more than $200 or so on the Box itself. I've been looking at B&W G3's and even some CRT iMacs. My question is, will these machines function well for this purpose with Tiger installed if this is all it ever does, or will it simply be too slow?

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
Do you have a static IP address? Otherwise it will be difficult to give an address to people to find your server..

Before you go ahead, check with your ISP if running a server violates your terms of service.
You can get free static IP addresses through services like DynDNS.org.

If all you're using it for is as a web server (including serving up photos), and you don't anticipate huge amounts of traffic coming your way, something like a B&W will be fine. Make sure your internet connection (the upload speed, specifically) is decent.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
An remember that if you go the CRT iMac route, it may be best to go for a later (i.e. not a tray-loading) model, as Tiger's requirements state that Firewire is needed. I'm not sure if it still loads on the one's without Firewire, but better safe than sorry.

syclone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Syracuse, NY
Thanks for the help, guys.

I do have a static IP right now, but I'm thinking about registering a name and doing a redirect that I can change if I move and get a new IP.

I'm pretty sure that running a server does violate the TOS of my ISP, because they want you to pay more for a business class account. Similar to my Airport Express being a TOS violation, because they want to charge $5 extra per month for each PC on the connection. I figure unless there is a huge amount of incoming traffic, and since its not for commercial purposes, I will be fine. Hopefully they would at least ask me to shut down the server before cutting off my service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.