Cheaper Alternative to Parallels Desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by todd2000, Aug 4, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I hope to be getting an Intel Mac in the near future, and was looking at my options for running Windows, because it would be nice to get rid of my PC that I barely use, and just run XP on my Mac on the rare occasion I need it for somehting. I like bootcamp, because it's free :), but Virtulization would be nice too, I was searching around and foud this http://openosx.com/wintel/, it's only $24.99 vs $79.99 for Parallels. Does anonye use it? Does it work a well as Parallels? Thanks

EDIT: Although Im not holding my breath.... I hope Leopard has Virtulization, Yes I know Apple already said no, but mabye thell change their minds :)

2. Squareball macrumors regular

Parallels is the only game in town right now. the OpenOSX Wintel thing is just a repackaging of Qemu. There is a free version available called "Q" however this software emulates an intel processor whereas Parallels actually talks directly to it. So it's sooooo much faster.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Stick with Bootcamp. When Apple integrate it with Leopard it's going to be real slick. I know the restart for some is a hassle, but at the end of the day having XP natively installed gives you the full benefit of that operating system when the need arises.

4. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Guess I'll stick with Bootcamp, it's fast, and free. :)

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

one day too late but something like this will come around again.
    outpost.com had parallels for marked down from $79 to $59 with a $20 rebate bringing it to $39.

bootcamp if you play games. parallels for everything else.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

With Boot Camp, it is Windows XP after a reboot. With Parallels Workstation, it is Windows XP or almost any other Intel-compatible application in a virtual environment. You don't have to reboot, which means that your Mac environment is available at all times.

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I know, and I don't really play many games so Parallels would do fine for me, but Bootcamp is soooo much cheaper :). I guess when the times comes I'll look for a deal on Parallels

8. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I hope so :) Lets hear it for cheap Virtulization

9. Shazkar macrumors newbie

Heh, I bought Parallels when they were having a sale so I got it like 30 dollars cheaper than what it is now. I still don't have my MacBook but I'm getting it tomorrow, so yay.