Cheaper Alternative to the iLap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamIchi, Jan 31, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I find $50 dollars too steep for me. I am currently using a book to elevate the back end of my MB and it works well, and whenever I use it on my bed I just use a pillow. I could get aways without buyin one but if there was something similar for cheaper I'd consider. Any suggestions guys?

2. Selenolycus macrumors regular

I think you can get an iCurve from eBay for around $30, same thing for the Griffin Elevator, about $33 using a froogle search. You can actually get a griffin elevator for $26 after shipping using buy.com and google checkout.

3. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Back in the day when I used to read and write in bed, as opposed to type, I had this thing that was like a beanbag pillow on one side, and a flat surface on the other.

Something like this maybe, but cheaper?

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=5-344|Level=2-3|pageid=1859|Link=Img

I bet you can find them at Wal-Mart or JC Penney or someplace like that. Yeah, it's not as sleek as an "iLap" but it'll do the job.

ETA: Sorry that I can't make that a hotlink, but you can cut and paste it.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

You need to fix you link...

5. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I don't know how, sorry. I hope the point of the post is clear, regardless.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Is easy just click the button underneath the smily face and a window will pop up and past you link there. Or just roll your mouse over it. I think it's called insert link.

It looks like this

Attached Files:

7. Christina1971 macrumors regular

This also looks very promising. And $9.99? I'm there. I think the problem with Mac users sometimes (and I'm speaking as one since 1988) is that we have to have everything cool and nice and custom-made for our gorgeous machines. But people have been reading books/writing leters on their laps for years before iLap came along and decided to charge us $50 for the privilege of a flat surface.

(Thanks for the linking tip)

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

No problem

9. thestaton macrumors 6502

accept no substitute for the iLap. its so comfortable and does its job very well.

10. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

any1 remember the 'stable table' ?

would be ultimate for a lappy...

Attached Files:

11. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I don't doubt that the iLap is awesome. It's also $50. I accepted no substitions when I got the Macbook, but that means I personally have to be thrifty in what I buy in the way of accessories. $50 takes me a fifth of the way to a memory upgrade.

12. Stacc macrumors 6502a

before you drop any money on an external fan for your laptop, why not play around with Fan Control and see if running the fans a little faster than normal can solve your heat issues.