Cheaper alternatives to airport?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jadekitty24, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I have an iBook G3 @ 800 mhz, 386 ram, and a 30 GB hard-drive running 10.2.8. I currently don't have a wireless card or a base station. I was wondering if there was any cheaper alternatives to Apple's airport. I see the airport express is $130 and the card is $80. First off, is this all I'll need to surf the net wirelessly? Are there any other brands out there? I appreciate any help anyone could give me.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You're pretty much stuck getting an AirPort Wireless Card for your iBook, but something like a Linksys Wireless Router will work great with it. As long as you don't need a modem on it, the Linksys router is your best bet. They're very easy to maintain, and make changes to the configuration.

3. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

There are some cheep USB wireless adapters that are great.

4. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Linksys WRT54G for a router. Good price, and great little router.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

The last USB wireless adapter I had (D-Link USB Wireless Adapter) was absolute CRAP! The software for it was terrible. It crashed OS X almost everyday. I ended up selling it on eBay less than a week after I got it.

I would stick with the AirPort Card and hardware wireless router. Hardware is almost always better than software based solutions IMO....