Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Hey all, I am considering purchasing an :apple: tv. My only mac is a MBP2.2 C2D with a 120gb drive. I want to have all my movies on a drive and NOT on my MBP drive. IS there a better/cheaper option than a time capsule? I have an airport express (will be upgrading that to the new 'n' version soon)

ideas?

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
I'm in a similar position. I have an iMac and am considering replacing my Windows HTPC with a Mac Mini and want one copy of my music/videos/pictures etc rather than multiples floating around.

One device that seems to fit my needs is the LaCie Gigabit NAS. There are several Ethernet-capable HDD's out there but this one has the best overall customer reviews and has a USB socket for attaching a second drive to add to the storage. I was considering a 320GB drive for the NAS and a second similar external drive for Time Machine back-up.

On UK sites I've seen the 320GB version for around £115 and the 500GB version for £135. The 500GB drive would make more sense financially and could be partitioned in two but then if the drive should die you lose the original and the back-up.

Hope this helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.