Cheaper content in iTunes Turkey & Russia

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Ramonn, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors member

O.k. so Apple finally launched iTunes in those two countries and here is a simple comparison:

Top 200 Classics - the Very Best of Classical Music

UK: £10.99
    TR: 11.99TL = £4.19

Logic?

2. macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Apple screwed them on maps, so why not music as well?

3. MozMan68, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Based on market demand. That's the price they feel they can get n each country and is also based on what the record companies demand in each country.

4. macrumors 6502

It's all about disposable income I assume. I bet the phones themselves are far cheaper in those markets too.

They will fleece whatever countries they can. They don't even pay their taxes in the UK.

5. macrumors 65816

Err, as if we can do anything about how Apple wants to price their goods?

Can't do anything about it, so might as well suck it up.:p

6. macrumors 68020

bbfc

It's always been the case. Plus we have VAT of 20% added on.

7. macrumors 65816

Look at average income

Both turkey and Russia when converted to GBP have an average income if £600 per month compared to the average here in the uk of £2000 per month

8. Ramonn, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

thread starter macrumors member

I guarantee you that Apple doesn't own MJ's music rights (facepalm icon)

Dude what disposable income? What tax? What you guys trippin about? Foreign album costs around £8-12 in Turkey and its always been like this from day one. Regardless of their GDP or whatever. We're not talking about physical good we're talking about digital content... FIFA 13 costs £65 in Turkey and £58 in Russia so think about it...

I'm telling you that the same music content is priced differently and I'm talkin about a 70% difference. Clocked?

A song goes for £0.99 in UK iTunes yet .89TL which is £0.30 in iTunes Turkey.

How on earth can Apple bring these prices down to those ridiculous numbers I mean how much of that 30p or cents will be left to the actual owners of those songs?

Dude obviously Apple must've signed a contract with music companies otherwise obviously they're not going to compensate the loss for each song...

I understand they're income is low but so? A physical album CD costs almost £8-£12 in Turkey which is ideal but then a digital copy on iTunes now costs £3-£4...

This is going to hit music stores big time in Turkey and also those distributors that own the foreign music rights... I don't think they can compete with these prices...

Apple can't just price it at these crazy prices I mean c'mon we're talking about 25m contents in Turkey and Russia and their population combined is like 300-350m...

When I pay £.99p here in London I have no sympathy for a Russian paying only £0.32p for the same content just because he resides there- matter fact just because he changed his location from UK to Russia in his "Apple ID account".

Again; clocked?

It seems unnoticed but there are so many concerns in to this matter in terms of fairness economical and competitive market...

The only thing I can think about is that Apple may want to limit piracy in those countries but then these prices are just unbelievable and how on earth are these people going to make money I mean how much of that £.30p goes to them after Apple's commission. And yes piracy is not limited to music but games and apps and program's and books and movies etc...

Legal-piracy it is. Lol....

9. macrumors member

Haha actually it's way cheaper in India here!

INR-RS 150
    GBP-£1.8

10. macrumors 68040

0dev

Apple don't pay their taxes anywhere if the law allows them to avoid it, it's called clever accounting. All companies do it.

As for the price of goods and services, Apple rip off the UK big time. iPhones, iPods, iPads and Macs all cost more in the UK than they do in the US. Partly this is down to VAT but Apple bung an extra £100 or so onto the price of each item themselves too in many cases.

You may however find some solace in the fact that the UK has very good phone deals compared to the US, who get ripped off royally by their networks. Not sure what it's like in Turkey on phone plans though.

11. macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's how I see it. When Americans tell me how much their plans are I often spit out whatever i'm drinking. Extortionate. And the handset cost on contract is through the roof.

12. macrumors 68040

0dev

I just honestly cannot fathom spending $200 or more on a friggin' contract phone. On an unlocked SIM free phone yes, but with a contract as well? And after you do that, you can enjoy not getting any unlimited data and paying so absurdly for the data you do get. And having to buy minutes and texts separately. Then if you want to change providers once your contract's up you can't keep your phone and might not be able to upgrade to a new one you want because they all work on different bands and technologies.

Right now I pay £25 a month (about $40), which is quite a lot, but for that I get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, and unlimited internet with tethering, which I consider very good value. I don't even have a broadband connection anymore, I just tether off my phone instead. And I'm on Three which will be the second network in the UK to get LTE come next year. And the best bit? No 24 month commitment, it's a 30 day rolling contract. So I'm very happy with my deal.

13. macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Don't lump all of the US into crappy contracts...and remember, while you're jumping up and down for LTE next year, we've had it here for years. You can get an iPhone 4 under contract for $1 and a 4S for $99 and probably cheaper depending on the provider. We have many choices, almost all with incredible speeds and coverage depending on what works best in your area.

I had unlimited data and texts as well before 4G and LTE rolled out here...and for about what you are paying now.

14. macrumors 68040

0dev

Do you have unlimited data because you're on a "grandfathered" plan though?

And as for the old iPhones, you can get an iPhone 4S here for £30 on a £32 a month contract and an iPhone 4 for free for just £25 a month on Three. That's for a plan including 500 minutes, 5000 texts, and unlimited data. Unlimited data, by the way, is pretty much the standard except for on cheap pay as you go plans (and even then, giffgaff gives you 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet for £12 a month on PAYG, but they're a virtual network of O2, the reliability of which isn't so great).

To compare, I just put myself through the horrible experience of actually trying to use AT&T's website and it seems unlimited data doesn't exist on new plans. The most data I can get is 20GB for $200 a month! Bare in mind I rack up 100GB in a month easily on my £25 a month Three plan with no issues. The equivalent AT&T plan to what I'm paying, for an outdated iPhone, will only get me 1GB of data which is useless, and that's just the data plan (I'll get to this in a minute).

I then went to the Verizon website, which to their credit looks quite cool. Again, on an outdated iPhone I can pay $60 a month ($20 more than I pay for my plan, that is) for 2GB. The most they will give me is 10GB for $100 a month. That's £60! Every. Single. Month. And still no unlimited data!

Except, no, it costs more! Because that pricing is just for the data plan! I'd also have to pay "monthly line access" of an additional $40! So to get the cheapest plan, with only 2GB of data, on the iPhone friggin' 4, a two year old smartphone, I would have to pay a total of $100 a month :eek:

So yeah, I'll stick to what I have now thanks. You guys get ****ed in the ass on your phone plans.

15. thread starter macrumors member

It's the first time that Apple has introduced something incredible that didn't get noticed...

Offering stupidly low prices... Differentiating "big time" between customers based on their location.

Irony?

Lol...

----------

What is?

16. macrumors 65816

You do realise most people don't care about the price of music content and everything else outside their country.

17. macrumors newbie

Hello i'm from Turkey and I thought I can give some information about it.

In different countries music sold different prices.

In Turkey, foreign music album CD's cost about 20TL - 25TL. (7£-8£)
    While Turkish albums cost 16TL (6£)
    iTunes Store sells the foreign & Turkish albums for same price, 9TL(3£)

I mean the music is already cheaper in market in Turkey and it's normal that we buy music cheaper than UK.

But in iTunes store, it's cheaper than our local markets. (Example: www.dr.com.tr = the most popular music market that sells CD's, etc.)

I don't know how much music cost in local stores in UK.
    If iTunes Store UK sells the music cheaper than the local stores they sells physical CD's in UK, it's normal and there's no issue.

But if you're saying that iTunes UK and UK local stores sells them for same prices, than I think you're right.

18. Costa Del Sol, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors newbie

Seriously...prices differ in countries. Do people really think that bread, meat, computer software, devices etc. costs the same in every single part of the world?

Oh and regarding digital content and overall smartphone prices, having lived in both countries (US and Turkey) I'd prefer US prices all the way in general. Software, Apple and all other electronic/computer related pieces etc. costs way, WAY cheaper than they do in Turkey.

It is a very smart and sensible move for Apple to offer lower prices in Russia and Turkey. Oh, you believe you are getting screwed in the UK after reading this fact? Then don't worry, Russian and Turkish users are getting screwed just as hard as you do, just not by iTunes Store.

Apple is entering into an emerging market with a fair amount of competition (TTnet Music offers 100 sogs for 2 bucks?) and a competitive pricing strategy doesn't sound bad at all. Once they reach to a certain level of popularity, Apple will most certainly bump the prices. Maybe slowly, but they'll surely go all the way up to what they currently cost in the UK. I don't think they've got a love/hate relationship with Russia, Turkey and the UK. They just want to make profit, and this is their marketing strategy. Surprised? That's how everything works, even international brands in your local supermarket.

19. thread starter macrumors member

Dude it's the other way round. High street stores like HMV is cheaper on most albums and they have promotions like 2 for £15-£20 etc. So shops usually sell cheaper than on iTunes but not everyone wants a CD and then rip it etc...

It's more expensive in iTunes but the only advantage is that you can buy a song out of an album regardless of whether if it was out as a Single song or not...

But in Turkey and Russia its other way around where iTunes is much more cheaper. When you compare it with UK God it's less than half price for the same content and I just don't get the catch or logic behind it...

Thanks for the input dostum...

20. macrumors 68000

MozMan68

The real answer is a couple of responses up...it is cheaper so you use it...then they will raise the price.

Apple is smart and really invented the digital music store as we know it today.

They get you roped into buying content from the iTunes Store...you realize how much easier it is then driving to a music store (which hardly exist anymore anyway), you get it in their format and it is automatically transfered to your other "idevices" since you bought it from them (no iTunes Match purchase needed)....buy one song at a time...so many reasons to get something off of itunes versus buying an entire CD...even if it is cheaper.

21. thread starter macrumors member

We're all aware of the fact that prices differ between countries due to currency and taxes and duties and all that crap but dude we're talking about digital content which is owned by their respectful owners and not Apple.

100 songs for $2?

I don't know about it but that's just ridiculous dude I mean does it include foreign songs? Perhaps it's about streaming rights or users are borrowing it for the time of their subscription and not actually owning them outright. If they actually do buy and own their rights... 100 or so any music... For $2... Then I got nuttin more to say dude that's so baaaaaaaaaaaad! That service probably bought licensing fees but they can't sell them outright dude c'mon. I hope it's not what I think anyway...

I'm not rantin about me paying more but as I said you can't expect me to have sympathy for you guys payin cheaper for no apparent reason well just because you guys have less "disposable" income. So does millions in West who live on minimum wage and yet paying three times the more because they are part of the "west" never mind the difference in wealth distribution and the gap between poor and mid-high class...

I understand it may be cheaper but not 70% dude c'mon.

You guys probably think its me can't take it because I'm payin too much but that's not the case because I will buy them regardless of their price but we gotta think in large scale because these prices effect tonnes of people. Tonnes of online & high street people...

Please don't mix hardware and software sales etc. They differ country to country because of shipping and duties etc also it's much easier to draw up "creative accounting" for softwares and other digital content especially in developing-third world counties.

Lets get real....

(Puro smoking icon)

22. g-7
    macrumors 6502

g-7

Time to move to Turkey. ;)

23. thread starter macrumors member

You can save all that hassle by changing your location to Turkey in your Apple ID settings.

Lol

24. g-7
    macrumors 6502

g-7

Come on, we're not supposed to take the easy way. ;)

25. macrumors newbie

.. problem is that you need a Turkish Credit Card as well :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.