Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I'm looking for a mac compatible keyboard with that pretty stainless steel design - yet not ready to pay $69 for one - any suggestions? (Preferably one with wireless USB connection, if not.. i guess bluetooth is my option)

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
The Wireless Keyboard for Macs are not made out of stainless steel, but aluminum and some plastic. As for a cheaper alternative, I would suggest a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750, if anything, at $60. There isn't really anything else better unless you spend more for a wireless keyboard with a good design.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
Targus

The Targus Bluetooth Keyboard is also pretty "Apple-like", but the quality is nowhere near.

But still, a good keyboard.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I'm looking for a mac compatible keyboard with that pretty stainless steel design - yet not ready to pay $69 for one - any suggestions? (Preferably one with wireless USB connection, if not.. i guess bluetooth is my option)

Sorry, but let's see if I got this right: You were "ready" to pay some decent $$$ or $$$$ on an Apple product but you can't spare 69$ for their keyboard? Still, you're "ready" to spend ~10-20$ less for a non-Apple but "Apple-like looking" keyboard? ( like the ones suggested by the above posters maybe ) Or are you not "ready" to pay even ~10-20$ less? What's your budget again? Maybe you need this: http://micgadget.com/10835/knockoff-ipad-wireless-keyboard-now-available-video/ for ~30$

Or you maybe have some Chinese friends that might be able to help you out... For sure they can get you an Apple Keyboard imitation for probably less than 30$ ( what about second-, third- or fifth-hand products? Have you tried eBay or Craigslist? )... heck, they can even get you eyePhones or eyePads for less than you pay for coffee at Starbucks every morning.

What a wonderful World we live in...

Last edited:

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
There are plenty of Apple styled Keyboards on ebay for like £10.

I cant point you to a specific keyboard - But a friend bought a cheap ebay keyboard, worked just fine.

Obviously under the spot light, you can tell the difference. But looked the part without costing the earth.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sorry, but let's see if I got this right: You were "ready" to pay some decent $$$ or $$$$ on an Apple product but you can't spare 69$ for their keyboard? Still, you're "ready" to spend ~10-20$ less for a non-Apple but "Apple-like looking" keyboard? ( like the ones suggested by the above posters maybe ) Or are you not "ready" to pay even ~10-20$ less? What's your budget again? Maybe you need this: http://micgadget.com/10835/knockoff-ipad-wireless-keyboard-now-available-video/ for ~30$

Or you maybe have some Chinese friends that might be able to help you out... For sure they can get you an Apple Keyboard imitation for probably less than 30$ ( what about second-, third- or fifth-hand products? Have you tried eBay or Craigslist? )... heck, they can even get you eyePhones or eyePads for less than you pay for coffee at Starbucks every morning.

What a wonderful World we live in...

Just... JUST not necessary.

If he says he does not want to spend that money then that's his choice, maybe he has an old Apple, maybe he's "poor" but needs it, for whatever reason he wants a cheaper one.
Post like yours don't help.

And btw, I think both the keyboard and magic trackpad are over priced.

Last edited:

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
maybe he's "poor" but needs it

Yeah, right, I just don't buy crap like that.
One can clearly not get anything done with non-Apple-like looking keyboards nowadays.
... people clearly "need" an Apple-like looking keyboard. Riiiiiiight...

And how was my post not helpful? Didn't I link him to an Apply Keyboard imitation that costs ~30$ + I also suggested checking out Craigslit and eBay for used keyboards? My post, as sarcastic / ironic as it is, IT IS more useful than what you've posted so far.

... but I'd happily read your explanations on why you think your reply is even remotely more useful than mine. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah, right, I just don't buy crap like that.
One can clearly not get anything done with a non-Apple-like looking keyboards.
... people clearly "need" an Apple-like looking keyboard. Riiiiiiight...

And how was my post not helpful? Didn't I link him to an Apply Keyboard imitation that costs ~30$ + I also suggested checking out Craigslit and eBay. My post, as sarcastic / ironic as it is, IT IS more useful than what you've posted so far.

... but I'd happily read your explanations on why you think your reply is even remotely more useful than my first reply. :rolleyes:

He didn't say he needed it, he just said he was looking for one.

I got my Dad one for his macbook (it's an old one that used to be mine), sure when the keyboard breaks he will want a new one but he would never pay that kind of money for one, so he would maybe make a post like this asking for alternatives.

Not everyone that uses a mac paid out of this world prices for there machine.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
He didn't say he needed it, he just said he was looking for one.

... and why are you quoting me? Did I start stating he "needs" one?
Do please quote the guy who stated that next time ( justperry ). :rolleyes:

he would never pay that kind of money for one, so he would maybe make a post like this asking for alternatives

Too many assumptions about your dad there... Let's not decide what he'd do or not beforehand. Let's just let him decide when the time comes... he might just as easily surprise you and actually buy one ( or the keyboard price might drop by then )! But of course you have never considered that option because according to your assumptions, he'd never pay that kind of money... which is fine with me, but it's an assumption nonetheless.

Last edited:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I only quoted you because you are the one coming across with the horrible attitude towards the OP. Sure you posted something helpful but in a condescending manner.

----------

Too many assumptions about your dad there... Let's not decide what he'd do or not beforehand. Let's just let him decide when the time comes... he might just as easily surprise you and actually buy one! But of course you have never considered that option because according to your assumptions, he'd never pay that kind of money... which is fine with me, but it's an assumption nonetheless.

How is it an assumption about my dad? The man would not pay £57 for a keyboard. I am not assuming that, it's a fact.

I think I know him a bit better than you.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
How is it an assumption about my dad? The man would not pay £57 for a keyboard. I am not assuming that, it's a fact.

I think I know him a bit better than you.

Kid... you clearly know him better than I do or anyone else, mainly because no one here knows ( except of you, of course ) who your dad is. BUT, on the philosophical side of things, just because he is your dad and you've been seeing / "knowing" him for the past N years, IT DOES NOT mean you "actually know" the person or what he is thinking about, how he'd exactly react in specific situations or at a given point in time ( especially when talking about "possible" future events ). Sure, you can ASSUME that "that's what he'd MAYBE do", but it's an assumption nonetheless ( until it actually happens ).

Just as you know your father's every little secret, move or action ( :rolleyes: ) for sure he ( and your mother, grandparents, best friend(s), aunt, uncle, etc. ) also knows all your little secrets, thoughts and he clearly knows what you're gonna do and when... Riiiiiiiiiight.

Do you even understand how silly you look when running around stating "absolute truths" about a 3rd person without that person even knowing about it or being able to reply and either prove you right or wrong? ( not to mention that "people change" - I'm sure you heard that before )

Last edited:

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Then why did you reply to my comment? So, you're like: "I don't care about you or what you think / say, but I spend my time reading and replying to your comments!" :rolleyes: You're a smart one... BRAVO!

You're clearly trolling. It wasn't necessary to "attack" him based off how much he was willing to pay for a keyboard because he already bought an Apple product/Mac. The matter of fact is, is you *don't* know his situation. Just because someone has a Mac doesn't mean they can't budget or look for great deals. Maybe he's a student, and a Mac was an unofficial requirement for his particular field. You just don't know.

Furthermore, you're kind of offending Chinese people (I'm not Chinese). Macs come from China, too (although Apple will start to be producing some in the United States).

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
You're clearly trolling. It wasn't necessary to "attack" him based off how much he was willing to pay for a keyboard because he already bought an Apple product/Mac. The matter of fact is, is you *don't* know his situation. Just because someone has a Mac doesn't mean they can't budget or look for great deals. Maybe he's a student, and a Mac was an unofficial requirement for his particular field. You just don't know.

I wasn't attacking, I was being sarcastic / ironic and true, maybe a bit too harsh for the taste of some ( yeah, I could most likely do a better job at being less direct / harsh / ironic / sarcastic ). Still: the Apple Keyboard costs 69$ and almost every "decent imitation" costs between 30-60$ ( at least the ones suggested so far... maybe you know about even cheaper ones but you're not willing to share this information with the OP / us ). So, what are we talking here about? A potential saving of 9-39$ if going for an Apple Keyboard imitation, when the "real thing" costs almost the same? Not to mention that the Apple Keyboard will also come with a 1 year WARRANTY !!! Do those imitations also come with such warranty? Is the RMA process / servicing really that straight-forward and pleasant when dealing with imitations? Riiiiight... You can most likely only answer such questions with: "I think / I believe", so don't even bother.

Sure, one could say: "who am I to say that 9$ or even 39$ isn't an IMPORTANT AMOUNT to the OP"... well, maybe it is, but I refuse to think like that. When the amount you can save is getting extremely close to the price of a Happy Meal + a Coke, then you must be out of this World to consider that it is a "significant amount saved" ( and NO, don't even try coming back with crap like: "who knows where he is from, from a poor country maybe or maybe he is homeless" - if it were the case, he would probably have other more important things to worry about than posting on Macrumors and asking for help on finding an Apple Keyboard replica ). Enough said...

Furthermore, you're kind of offending Chinese people (I'm not Chinese). Macs come from China, too (although Apple will start to be producing some in the United States).
How exactly? By recommending them due to their expertise on replicating products ( many times, very expensive global brands ) and selling these replicas significantly cheaper? You're almost like the kid above who started talking in the name of his father and explaining what his father would undoubtedly do in certain situations ( "it's a fact" ). :rolleyes:

EDIT: @OP: By the way, if you do not necessarily want a wireless keyboard, Apple also has a "standard keyboard" with a numeric pad: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad it costs 49$ so it's even cheaper... a decent quality keyboard ( no matter the brand ) is anyway quite close to that price.

Last edited:

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Kid... you clearly know him better than I do or anyone else, mainly because no one here knows ( except of you, of course ) who your dad is. BUT, on the philosophical side of things, just because he is your dad and you've been seeing / "knowing" him for the past N years, IT DOES NOT mean you "actually know" the person or what he is thinking about, how he'd exactly react in specific situations or at a given point in time ( especially when talking about "possible" future events ). Sure, you can ASSUME that "that's what he'd MAYBE do", but it's an assumption nonetheless ( until it actually happens ).

Just as you know your father's every little secret, move or action ( :rolleyes: ) for sure he ( and your mother, grandparents, best friend(s), aunt, uncle, etc. ) also knows all your little secrets, thoughts and he clearly knows what you're gonna do and when... Riiiiiiiiiight.

Do you even understand how silly you look when running around stating "absolute truths" about a 3rd person without that person even knowing about it or being able to reply and either prove you right or wrong? ( not to mention that "people change" - I'm sure you heard that before )

Oh look we have a philosopher here.

"Everything is relative" right?

Going by your "philosophy" (Which I won't call philosophy because relativism is counterproductive IMO), you should not be judging OP's motivation for looking for a cheap alternative to an apple keyboard because you are assuming OP morally should purchase an expensive keyboard. See? Relativism gets you nowhere.

Last edited:

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
i got mine off ebay, as well as my trackpad. both boxed in perfect condition at a total cost of £65 the pair. nearly half price.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
you should not be judging OP's motivation for looking for a cheap alternative to an apple keyboard because you are assuming OP morally should purchase an expensive keyboard. See? Relativism gets you nowhere.

Who is judging his motivation? You can't understand what you read, can you?

I have presented numbers, pointed out a few things ( true, in a more sarcastic / ironic / harsh manner, I'm not denying that ) gave some advice and provided a link to a keyboard imitation... To sum it up: getting an Apple keyboard imitation and saving virtually "nothing" in the process makes absolutely no sense ( we're not talking about hundreds of dollars difference here... but chips / hamburger money savings at best ). A standard, wired Apple Keyboard with a numeric pad is priced at 49$ while the Wireless model is 69$ ... the so far suggested imitations / replicas are not just very close in price, some are even more expensive than the wired Apple keyboard with numeric pad !!!!!!

So, is it worth saving between 9-39$ by getting an "Apple keyboard imitation", but losing out on a 1 year Apple warranty ( + the quality if that matters to anyone )? If the answer is YES, great for him and you and everyone else... To me, getting the imitation is faaaaaaaar from smart especially when considering that it virtually costs the same as the original product ( if not more ). If he can't spare 49$ or 69$, then he should check Craigslist or eBay for used Apple keyboards ( something I've already advised him to do in my first comment )... it would most likely still be a better option than getting an imitation for almost the same price as a brand new one !!!

... your relativism blabbering has failed you! Better luck next time. ;)

Last edited:

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I wasn't attacking, I was being sarcastic / ironic and true, maybe a bit too harsh for the taste of some ( yeah, I could most likely do a better job at being less direct / harsh / ironic / sarcastic ). Still: the Apple Keyboard costs 69$ and almost every "decent imitation" costs between 30-60$ ( at least the ones suggested so far... maybe you know about even cheaper ones but you're not willing to share this information with the OP / us ). So, what are we talking here about? A potential saving of 9-39$ if going for an Apple Keyboard imitation, when the "real thing" costs almost the same? Not to mention that the Apple Keyboard will also come with a 1 year WARRANTY !!! Do those imitations also come with such warranty? Is the RMA process / servicing really that straight-forward and pleasant when dealing with imitations? Riiiiight... You can most likely only answer such questions with: "I think / I believe", so don't even bother.

Sure, one could say: "who am I to say that 9$ or even 39$ isn't an IMPORTANT AMOUNT to the OP"... well, maybe it is, but I refuse to think like that. When the amount you can save is getting extremely close to the price of a Happy Meal + a Coke, then you must be out of this World to consider that it is a "significant amount saved" ( and NO, don't even try coming back with crap like: "who knows where he is from, from a poor country maybe or maybe he is homeless" - if it were the case, he would probably have other more important things to worry about than posting on Macrumors and asking for help on finding an Apple Keyboard replica ). Enough said...

How exactly? By recommending them due to their expertise on replicating products ( many times, very expensive global brands ) and selling these replicas significantly cheaper? You're almost like the kid above who started talking in the name of his father and explaining what his father would undoubtedly do in certain situations ( "it's a fact" ). :rolleyes:

EDIT: @OP: By the way, if you do not necessarily want a wireless keyboard, Apple also has a "standard keyboard" with a numeric pad: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad it costs 49$ so it's even cheaper... a decent quality keyboard ( no matter the brand ) is anyway quite close to that price.

Not to burst your little world, but a lot of other products, non Apple ones, and even these "Chinese imitations" *DO* come with warranties.

Last time I checked, up to $39 is not even near the price of a Happy Meal + a Coke. Even $9 is higher than that. And as someone that doesn't go out to eat much, yes, I would say it is a "significant" amount saved, because over time, it really does add up. More importantly, eating out is not usually healthy for you in the first place, and in many cases, unhealthy. You're *assuming* he eats out, specifically McDonald's, so he's not "actually" saving any money.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Who is judging his motivation? You can't understand what you read, can you?

I have presented numbers, pointed out a few things ( true, in a more sarcastic / ironic / harsh manner, I'm not denying that ) gave some advice and provided a link to a keyboard imitation... To sum it up: getting an Apple keyboard imitation and saving virtually "nothing" in the process makes absolutely no sense ( we're not talking about hundreds of dollars difference here... but chips / hamburger money savings at best ). A standard, wired Apple Keyboard with a numeric pad is priced at 49$ while the Wireless model is 69$ ... the so far suggested imitations / replicas are not just very close in price, some are even more expensive than the wired Apple keyboard with numeric pad !!!!!!

So, is it worth saving between 9-39$ by getting an "Apple keyboard imitation", but losing out on a 1 year Apple warranty ( + the quality if that matters to anyone )? If the answer is YES, great for him and you and everyone else... To me, getting the imitation is faaaaaaaar from smart especially when considering that it virtually costs the same as the original product ( if not more ). If he can't spare 49$ or 69$, then he should check Craigslist or eBay for used Apple keyboards ( something I've already advised him to do in my first comment )... it would most likely still be a better option than getting an imitation for almost the same price as a brand new one !!!

... your relativism blabbering has failed you! Better luck next time. ;)

I don't need your luck. Whether or not you say you aren't a judgmental **** does not make you any less of one. Perhaps you are used to the kind of sarcastic words (parents? bullied as child?) you threw at OP in your initial post so maybe you cannot see it, but I think (and some others agree) that it was unnecessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.