Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Hi, all.
I'm getting a macbook soon, and as it will be replacing my ibook AND imac, I'd like to get an extra display so that it's more like a desktop at home. Also, I do some work that benefits from a second spanned monitor.
Obviously everyone says that Dell's are pretty good. I found some of the 20" 2005 widescreen models on ebay for around $200 shipped (with a day or two left still on bidding), but I'm thinking that those prices will skyrocket before the auctions are over.
So what's a decent cheap brand? I'll probably still hit up ebay, but I keep seeing names like Acer and Viewsoniq without having any idea what they look like.
By the way- I'm a student and vowed to break even with my new macbook purchase after selling my imac and ibook- that's why I need it so cheap!
And although widescreen and high-ish resolution would be nice, I'll settle for a 17" 1280X1024 (that seems to be pretty standard).
Thanks.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Used LCDs are suspect unless you can see it in person. After TigerDirect rejected a rebate that I did everything properly on, I believe all rebates to be retarded.

Look for outlet stores that have an easy return policy. The Dell Outlet often has great prices, if you do your homework. Every model they sell is a little different. I have never been disappointed with Dell, but I should also add a catate to this. I work for an organization that was a tier 1 purchachser, so I get better than average customer service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.