Cheapest HD Option Possible For Linux

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Dec 8, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    What's the bare minimum for this?

I want to have a very small HD, 10 gigs probably, to play with Gentoo Linux. Since I don't want to go through the trouble of redoing partioning my HD once again (ugh), I would rather spend some money and buy a seperate attached one.

It doesn't matter if it's a 4200 rpm on of it the transfer speed will be horribly slow. I just want to learn Linux, keep up with the distros and the such. We use it all the time in the college's library where I work so it would benefit me from learning all I can about it. :D

So what's the bare minimum I can spend and get to do this? I want to be able to boot from the HD w/o installing it in my macbook obviously.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Lowest price would be to boot off of a live Linux CD/DVD. Not hard drive required only the cost of a blank disc.

Next get Parallels. Linux can ruin inside the virtual machine. If you want to save $70 and learn about free open source software at the same time. Go for QEMU in place of Parallels. Zero cost.

Next up in price would be a low end firewire HD. You can't buy a new 10GB FW drive. new ones srat at just under $100. Maybe $80. Try eBay. But it's got to be FW if yu want to boot from it.

Then finally why are you running Linux. Every program that runs under Linux can also run on Mac OS X. So get Gnome, Gimp, Open Office or whatever and run it under Mac OS. I use both Linux and a Mac and see them as being nearly the same except that the Mac can also run some nice Aqua programs like iLife and so on. So what are you going to learn with Linux Perl shell scripting?, how to configure Apache? Do all that under mac OSX