Cheapest iBook Ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neoelectronaut, Jul 18, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

What's the cheapest I can get 256 or 512MB Ram modules for the current iBooks? (12" & 14" 1Ghz, 14" 1.2Ghz.)

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know specific prices offhand, but your question actually has a double meaning of sorts. The cheapest-priced RAM is usually just that - the chepeast-quality RAM as well. I'm not sure which definiton of cheapest you were implying in your question, however ironically they are essentially one in the same! ;) If you're on a tight budget, then by all means, check out RAMseekers.com or some similar site and I'm sure you can find an excellent deal, but I wouldn't recommend it. You get what you pay for when it comes to RAM, and I'm always willing to pay a few extra $$$ for quality RAM.

Just some words of advice!

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

$49

Call up 18004memory to confirm that they have memory in stock for the 1.2GHz model. You can't find much (any) cheaper than what they offer for memory on Macs. My father and I have bought a combined total of around 3GB of memory from them and have never had problems with it.

Macconnection, on the other hand...can't even ship the first 320MB correctly the first two times. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: Damn, looks like 18004memory isn't so cheap on the iBook side of things... See "The Lemon"'s post here.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Do not buy ram for cheapness. Buy it for quality. Otherwise your system will probably not run correctly or at all. Buy the ram that is recommended for your system. Otherwise you might as well throw your money out the window.

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, it's just my girlfriend's getting an iBook, and she's not quite the techie, so she'll be with 256MB for a while. I'd like to boost her up to 768, but I want to do it the most cost-effective way I can.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Get the ram from www.crucial.com a stick of 512 goes for about $120. It's a reasoable prie for top of the line ram. It's the same ram apple uses, just at half the price. Apple gets their ram from crucial.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...that is very true. Cheap (bad) ram is probably the leading cause of kernel panics. It bothers me when people buy cheaply made ram, plunk it in their computer and then blame Apple's "crappy operating system" when it starts crashing....oh yeah!

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Shard agrees with Duff-Man - oh yeah! :cool: Bad RAM can lead to many problems, many of which are hard to diagnose and, as Duff-Man suggests, leads users to blame to OS, the motherboaard, the hardware, etc. etc.

You get what you pay for - buy quality RAM and you won't regret it. If you want to buy the cheapest RAM you can find, then by all means do so, but don't complain if the system it is installed in acts up at some point.

And Duff-Man - whereabouts on Vancouver Island are you? I was there last summer and I loved it! Went surfing up in Toffino, went whale watching, hiking, bungee jumping near Naniamo, spent some time on the lakes, went through Sandy Bay and Coombs, hung out in Victoria - I gotta go back! It reminded me a lot of New Zealand... :cool:

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I am in Victoria. Yes, this is a very nice place. I've done the bungy in Nanaimo too of course - did you do either of the other rushes they have there? They always have a day in the spring for naked jumping too - the money is all donated to charity...makes the newscasts every year heheheh. Tofino is awesome in the summer...Long Beach when the tide is out. Actually, I am probably heading to New Zealand later this year for a holiday - never been there but always wanted to go and now I have enough frequent-flyer miles to get there...looking forward to it....oh yeah!

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I only did the bungee jump, but when I go back I'll probably try the other rushes. Oh, and I meant Maple Bay, not Sandy Bay.... ;) I'd love to live out on the island someday myself!

But now Shard says that's enough off-topic posting - if you want to talk more and if you want tips on where to go and what to do in NZ, Shard and Duff-Man should probably use PMs instead - oh yeah! ;) :cool:

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

iBook G4 (PC2100 DDR)
    128mb 26.99 from 4AllMemory and Crucial
    256mb 39.00 from MemoryToGo
    512mb 88.75 from MemoryToGo
    1gb 237.00 from MemoryToGo

Always check http://www.ramseeker.com/ for ram prices. No one vendor is ever the best, and there is absolutely noting special about crucial despite their reputation.

comments like this
    are very misleading. There is nothing special about apple ram or any other ram. cheap ram is typically manufactured in the exact same plant on the exact same assembly line. it just doesn't get stamped with a fancy logo at the end. if you want quality then look at the latency but an average user will never notice a difference. The best thing to do is buy the cheapest ram you can from a reputable dealer. If anything is wrong send it back, it will have a lifetime warranty no matter how cheap it was.

12. PRØBE macrumors member

Can I ram in moe ram?

I have an old clamshell 366mhz ibook which has the max 320mb ram installed. I have heard that it is possible to install more than the limit (to 512). Does anyone know if the ram would just sit there or would the system take advantage of it? It come with 64mb (unremoveable) so what kind of ram stick would I need (never heard of them coming in 448mb)

Thanks

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Your options would be a 256 MB stick or a 512 MB stick. I have no idea if your machine would recognize the extra RAM though, hopefuly someone else here will be able to assist you. But no, they don't make 448.00927 MB RAM sticks last time I checked... ;)

14. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Do the three current iBooks (The 12" and the two 14" models) all use the same ram? If so I may go ahead and get her the 512 strip now, so when she gets the iBook (Which she hasn't decided which she wants yet) I can install it for her.

15. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Oh yeah, I think I asked this in another thread before, but when I'm in CompUSA, what should I look for on the box to know it's the right ram? Specs?

16. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yeah all the current iBooks use the same type of RAM, a PC-2100 (DDR 266MHz) SO-DIMM. The iBook will also accept a PC-2700 (DDR 333MHz) it'll just slow down to 266MHz.

17. noel4r macrumors 6502a

how would one know if he got a defective ram?

18. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

It's hard to know for sure, some signs are the computer will beep at startup or the system won't recognise the RAM or you'll experience kernel panics.

If you think you have defective RAM try running the Hardware Test CD to see if it detects the problem, though it may not. If you're experiencing problems you think are caused by the RAM remove it and see if the computer starts working normally.

19. manosira macrumors member

manosira

How about G4 PB Ram?

I am going to add a question to this thread. How about cheap Power book Ram? Is there really a difference? Is there anyone who has bought the cheap ram and has had problems? Because right now I'm looking at Memory to go 1Gig PB Ram at $318 vs Crucials 1Gig PB Ram at $479. That's a $161 difference. They both have lifetime guarantees. I just ordered my PB so I don't have unlimited budget to work with, but if need be I will get the better one if someone can actually prove to me the difference is worth it. Thanks! :confused: