1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

cheapest iPod Touch 2G retailer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmlarsen, Sep 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey folks!

I've been thinking about getting a Touch for a while, but was holding out for 9/9. I like what I see, and I'm going for it. By default I would go to the local Apple store and pick one up (16GB), which would cost about $225 once sales tax is accounted for (in Los Angeles). If I purchase online from an out-of-state seller, I save the $25 sales tax, but generally have to pay shipping. Has anyone found a place to buy the 2G Touch with no sales tax and no shipping fees? In other words, a site that has a free shipping promotion, or a site that is selling it for less than MSRP?

Thanks!
    Michael

2. macrumors newbie

i'm thinking of buying mine through amazon- at least in the state i live in there's no sales tax charged by amazon and if you are willing to wait longer, shipping is free w/ super saver shipping or something like that.

they have the 2g touch on the site already, but it says you will have to wait about a week.

3. macrumors member

the 8GB is $229 the 16GB is $299.

4. macrumors newbie

amazon is awesome! Free shipping and no tax (unless you live in NY)
    If its available there...I would not hesitate!

5. macrumors newbie

Amazon is a good choice for reasons stated above. I'd go another way, though.

I'd focus less on taxes and try to get the best deal on a used iPod at ebay. I'm there a lot - both buying and selling - and I've seen some touches go for up to 30% less than retail price. It's a matter of finding those deals and getting the product from a reputable seller - so that he delivers and you don't get a chinese replica or sth.

6. macrumors member

Well, I bought mine off of Amazon (218). Also, bhphotovideo has them for 229, but with free shipping, and no sales tax.

7. macrumors regular

Umm I'm going with refurb, but if I wanted a new go with amazon. Save 50 dollars for a refurb (new outer shell and battery) on the apple store is awesome, plus I think it has free shipping.