Cheapest Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rdhmario3suit, Nov 25, 2006.

1. rdhmario3suit macrumors member

Nov 15, 2005

I need a laptop that runs OSX for Final Cut Pro that has a decent video card. I suppose the Macbook pro is my best bet; I have a Macbook and FCP barely runs - with lots of frame dropping issues present.

Anyways new MBPs for students are 1800, about 300 dollars over my budget. Now I see that I can get a refurbished non-core MBP at the apple store for $1450. Should I do this? Is there a better solution?

Also, is there any realistic way to just upgrade the video card in my macbook? I doubt it's worth a try asking.

2. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    the refurbished MBPs are pretty good deals imo.

i don't you can replace the video card. i think it's welded to the motherboard
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    nope, you can't swap the video card.

and yes, I think the refurb prices are good deals. the only other thing I could think of would be sign up for the student developer membership, which costs $99. then you could get the baseline MBP for 1599.. then once you get the membership package, you could sell the copy of tiger and the tshirt that comes with it to cover most of the membership fees.. still a bit out of your budget, but closer..and i guess worth it if the new MBP is important to ya. i did this and it was the perfect solution for me.
  4. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    you can get a resfresh MBP at an apple retail store with a 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, and 256 VRAM for $1499. refresh machines also tend to be in better shape than refurbs. this is a great deal. i didn't pass it up. you shouldn't either.
  5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    I think I'd get a refurbished mac over the same computer new just to save a couple hundred dollars. The refurbished macbook pro's are great I'm sure. I bought a g5 imac refurbished last year and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference if it was actually new. Get the most bang for your buck and buy refurbished!
  6. twoohfour macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2006
    Apple has great loopholes on their store for stuff like this... student dev... education discount... it's pretty easy to do.
  7. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
    I did the ADC Student Membership and it's worth the price. Great discounts on MBP's (20% one-time life discount) and a copy of Lepoard when it comes out...all for $99. Just make sure that you have proof of enrollment!:cool: