Cheapest/most secure way to buy some AAPL?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, Jan 14, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I already own 50 shares of AAPL and couldn't be happier with my decision. I bought at 55.37 and I've made almost $800... almost enough to pay off the eMac I bought. I'd like to buy some more. I beleive in the Halo Effect (because it happened to me) and I think I'd be smart to put more money into Apple.

Should I buy from online brokers like eTrade, Ameritrade, etc? If I buy another 50 shares, how much will I expect to pay? Can I trust them? How much less expensive will it be than an actual stock broker?

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Ok i don't know much about shares, but if you go to appleinsider they have the value of apple shares in there top right part of the screen.

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No thats not what I was asking. Obviously I know what Apple is trading at. I track it with Yahoo Finance. I was just wondering what was the best way to buy more stock is. Like what they charge you to make trades. Anyone know?

4. therevolution macrumors 6502

What's wrong with the way you got your initial 50 shares?

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You cant buy shares under the asking price of what its going for unless you have a buy option through Apple itself.

Edit: ok now I know what your asking, got confused there for a minute. You'll most likely do better going through a website that offers a flat fee to trade and not through a broker who most likely take a percentage out. I've heard good things with ameritrade and i believe there trades are pretty instantanious.

6. SteveC macrumors 6502

Very nice. :) When did you buy in? This does seem like a pretty unique opportunity.

7. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I bought mine (50 shares back at 44.15) :) with Ameritrade. It was cake, I went from sitting down at my computer to purchasing shares in less than 20 minutes. Pretty sweet and I love being up almost $30/share! :D

8. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought them through my mom's stock broker. I think she got charged some outrageous amount, like 2 dollars a share. Thats $100. How much does Ameritrade charge? I see on http://www.ameritrade.com/index1.html that it's $10.99. Thats a little hard to beleive the price difference. Don't they charge a % of the dollar value? Is there such thing as inactivity fees?

All this stuff is kinda confusing :confused:

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

Nope, trades are always a flat price with any online discount broker I've seen. If you're looking at Ameritrade, look here for their fees... looks like there is an account maintainance fee of $15 per quarter unless you make 4 trades during that time or have $2000 in the account.

I use E*TRADE (disclaimer: I also work for them! :D) , and I like it a lot, though I admit I've never used anything else. However, the commissions are higher than Ameritrade for the entry level investor. You can check out their rates here. I can definitely vouch for the service, though - I've been really happy with it.

10. NZDave macrumors newbie

I just signed up for an Ameritrade account, you get 30 commission free trades in the first 30 days. It sounds like you already have an account with them though, I'd buy them through that so all your stocks are on one account. It's easy to do, and commission is $10.99 per trade.

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Personally I find Scottrade.com to be the best. (albeit I haven't used anyone else) All you need for an account is to fill out a form, $200 (for trading), and send it in. It is $7 per trade, for normal orders. They have a nice package for other orders. Not to mention they have great customer service, and you can make orders over the phone too.

TEG

12. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I've used E*Trade for several years. All in all, I think they are pretty good.

I bought 50 shares of AAPL back in 2000 for $17. Sweeeet.

13. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

most financial magazines rate scottrade.com at the top, e-trade has been riddled with fees and is usually ranked low. i use ameritrade, good because of the free trades they give you at the beginning.

while I have been totally happy with ameritrade, I would like to move to scotttrade because of the fact that they are so highly esteemed by everyone.

14. gco212 macrumors 6502

My dad is a stock broker, so I go through him. However, I bought some like 50 shares in the Spring (in my college fund) and I've made like 30 or 40 dollars a share. Then he bought 200 for my grandparents with their retirement fund recently, and they made over 2000 dollars. He bought some for my mom and my sister in September or so, and now they're both up a thousand or so. Overall, my family is up well over $5000 thanks to Apple, and closing in on about $10,000, especially with that $10 gain a couple of days ago. He says he believes it will near about $95-100 before it's really done as a 'buy' stock.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

$2.00 a share in fees, heck your local full service bank branch would probably have charged you less than that -- and they tend to be on the pricey side for trades.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Scottrade.com has a great and easy system, plus it is $7 per trade, with a limit of several thousands of shares. I use it all the time, plus they have a simple interface for interaction, and shareholder business.

TEG