Cheapest place to buy a powerbook/ibook?

Discussion in 'Community' started by powerbook4me, Apr 20, 2004.

1. powerbook4me macrumors member

Is the Apple store the cheapest place to buy a powerbook/ibook right now?

Looking to get a 12inch one that has atleast a 1ghz cpu with the AE.

Also, I really don't have anything that uses bluetooth. Should I just avoid getting it and save some money?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Spend the fifty bucks and get BT. You can't add it later. And no, for retail prices there are better deals than the Apple Store. Unless you are a student or a developer...

3. powerbook4me thread starter macrumors member

Also, does the powerbook have vga out, s-video out, and composite video out like the ibook?

All I see is mini dvi-out listed.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I believe mini-DVI is it, although on my 15"TiBook I got an S-Video out too. Not to worry though, you'll get a DVI-to-VGA adapter with your machine.

From Apple's website:

I guess it does have S-Video too. And an adapter to go from S-Video to Composite.

5. powerbook4me thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Im blind, lol.

Still trying to decide if the 12 inch powerbook is worth more than $300 more over buying a 12inch ibook.

How does the G4 rank compared to an amd processor? I have an AMD 2400+(1.79ghz) with 512megs of 266ddr and a Radeon 128 meg vid card(shared mem).

Will a 1ghz or 1.3ghz be considerably slower than my current x86 laptop?

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Speed will always be a matter of what you will use it for, and it could be too close to call. I tend to opt for reliability and the iBook has it in buckets.

7. powerbook4me thread starter macrumors member

K, well I heard about all the software that comes with it, so basically I will be home video editing, doing some music stuff with that garageband thing, and messing with all the other software that currently comes with it.

Is the 1 ghz ibook acceptable for video editing and playing a few games if I choose to? (Been told that PPC computers are terrible at games)

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I can't really help you with the AMD comparison although others can offer some info there I'm sure. What I can tell you is that my wife's 800Mhz G4 iBook feels quite snappy for websurfing, photoshop work, etc. My 1Ghz TiBook feels the same way, although in both cases we have high amounts of RAM (640 for her, 1024 for me).

As to the $300 question, you need to decide if a few things are worth that too you.
    1. 80Gig HD versus 60Gig. You can upgrade later of course, but I'd prefer to buy something with a HD I'll have for a while.

2. Do you need/really want DVI? The iBook lacks a digital video out.

3. Do you want/need more than 1024x768 on your second monitor? I'm not positive here, but I think the iBook is limited to this even with the video hack to enable monitor spanning.

3. Do you want a Superdrive in a 12" form factor? If you do, you have to go with the PB.

I think that's all the major differences between the lines at this point. There is of course the processor speed as well, but that isn't too big of a concern unless you are after serious horsepower in which case you should be looking at a G5. :D

9. powerbook4me thread starter macrumors member

1. No, I can live with 60 gigs, hehe
    2. Didn't know what DVI was before I looked on apple.com . No need for it.
    3. I might be plugging into a projector, but Im sure 1024x768 is good enough.
    4. Nah, no need for a superdrive.

I knew going for an apple laptop, I wouldn't be getting top performance, but for the size/form factor and my set price range, the 12 inch is a good choice over the others for me. I am after serious "horsepower" :p but I guess you just have to make sacrifices for such a small laptop.

And those G5 cases are ugly ;)

10. powerbook4me thread starter macrumors member

Wow, the ibooks get better battery life too.

I guess the choice is made then... 6 hours vs 5

11. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

you steal one from the applestore when the sales clerks arent looking...sheesh