Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Hello,

it's that time of the year where it comes down to purchasing applecare. I am almost 98% sure i am going to purchase it, seeing as if my current powerbook breaks, i am in no way going to be able to dish out for a new one.

Point is, Anyone know a place where i can get applecare for cheaper than the apple educational store, for the powerbook?

thank you. :)

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
I'm pretty sure that much like there is only one price for a particular Mac across all retailers, give or take a few bucks, there is only one price for AppleCare.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Super Macho Man said:
I'm pretty sure that much like there is only one price for a particular Mac across all retailers, give or take a few bucks, there is only one price for AppleCare.

that's what i figured, but thought i ask anyway.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Why even buy Applecare? It sucks anyway, just get your Mac from Fry's or Best Buy's or any other chain which offers their own extended warranty schemes. Much better than Applecare IMO.

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
I purchased the warranty from the retailer I bought my first iBook G3 from. It was the crappiest thing. I really, really wish I would have never done so. Ever since then, I have bought straight from apple their extended warranty and have had no problems.

Buy from the manufacturer, they know the computer best and can also help u out with getting another one in the case of your's being too messed up.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
The cheapest place, I have found, to buy Apple Care is LA Computer Company. You can also save some money through Amazon. It does not matter where you buy it (although I personally avoid eBay), the service is from Apple.

Good luck.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
emptyCup said:
The cheapest place, I have found, to buy Apple Care is LA Computer Company. You can also save some money through Amazon. It does not matter where you buy it (although I personally avoid eBay), the service is from Apple.

Good luck.

Is Applecare enrolment kit international?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
generik said:
Why even buy Applecare? It sucks anyway, just get your Mac from Fry's or Best Buy's or any other chain which offers their own extended warranty schemes. Much better than Applecare IMO.

Are you serious? Do you know how often Best Buy screws customers over with their warranties? Sometimes they stand buy them, sometimes they don't.

generik said:

Yes it is. They also pay for shipping if you're not close to a service center.

EternalTL2k3

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
emptyCup said:

Good luck.

i think those prices match up almost exactly to what you could get with an apple educational discount. I noticed that when you order online they dont even verify your student status (i suppose it would be very difficult and tedious to do so) whereas in the store they check a school ID

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
generik said:
NO! Not necessarily - portables are covered internationally, but the AppleCare and computer need to purchased in the same country for coverage to be valid.

Applecare applies is ONLY supposed to be sold in the country in which the machine was purchased. Someone who purchased an iMac in the U.K. who comes to the U.S. and buys AppleCare may have thrown away money. U.K. AppleCare isn't supposed to honor that (who knows if they actually will).

Portables have worldwide coverage (you can get service at any authorized repair center or via mail from the country of purchase if needbe.)
Last time I checked, desktops did not.

The reasoning behind all this is that there are different tax rates and differing laws regarding warranties purchased in other countries. (ex. Japan isn't always obliged to honor an extended warranty purchased in France - regardless of the company.)

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
Can't you buy Applecare on ebay for like half the price? I routinely see Applecare going for 185 for powerbooks/macbook pros.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Well...

generik said:

Applecare for portables is international, but the AppleCare for desktops require that you purchase it in your country of residence.

Edit...see CarletonMusic above for a better explanation.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
eidrunner247 said:
Can't you buy Applecare on ebay for like half the price? I routinely see Applecare going for 185 for powerbooks/macbook pros.

Yeah, I got AppleCare for my PowerBook G4 for $175 on eBay.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I would try ebay, problem is i have never purchased anything from ebay and with so many people talking about scams and etc. on ebay.. i think i will just take my chances and pay a bit more.. :eek:

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
i4k20c said:
I would try ebay, problem is i have never purchased anything from ebay and with so many people talking about scams and etc. on ebay.. i think i will just take my chances and pay a bit more.. :eek:

Suit yourself, but as someone who has bought and sold numerous things on ebay, if I can save a couple hundred bucks, I will. Just be smart from who you buy; but just because you have never purchased anything on ebay really isn't a great reason not to use it. Millions of people use it all the time, it's not a scary thing.

That being said, if you have the money, go to the Apple store. You'll have security of knowing you bought it direct.

ivnds

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
HOw much do time do you have to purchase AppleCare, is it like other manufacturers, that u only have 30 days? or do you have till the end of standart 1 year warranty to purchase it?

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
ivnds said:
HOw much do time do you have to purchase AppleCare, is it like other manufacturers, that u only have 30 days? or do you have till the end of standart 1 year warranty to purchase it?

You have until the end of the standard 1 year warranty.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
ivnds said:

You have one year from original date of purchase. Type in your computer's serial number here to see how many days left you have to purchase Applecare.

http://www.apple.com/support/ <--- on the right part of the screen in the box

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
One word of caution on buying applecare from ebay

Apple is picky on where you get your receipt from applecare / where you got it from. They demand an official receipt for all transfers ... I once tried to send in my ebay receipt when I sold my iBook and it was rejected. That was a few years ago ... policy may be up to date BUT its something to consider. I know buy it through the applestore to save these worries because well I wouldn't want to lose all that value should I decide to sell the machine someday.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
Kwyjibo said:
One word of caution on buying applecare from ebay

Apple is picky on where you get your receipt from applecare / where you got it from. They demand an official receipt for all transfers ... I once tried to send in my ebay receipt when I sold my iBook and it was rejected. That was a few years ago ... policy may be up to date BUT its something to consider. I know buy it through the applestore to save these worries because well I wouldn't want to lose all that value should I decide to sell the machine someday.

Maybe a few years ago this was a problem, but online is the easiest way to go. Now, if you get applecare, you can just give your serial number and the seller will put in the info. viola, two more years at half the cost.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
generik said:

I agree to that. However I dont think BestBuy offers their service plans to macs. They only offer AppleCare.

On a sidenote if BestBuy does, BestBuy's service plans for notebooks allows you to get a new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.