cheapest place to buy ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Jul 23, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    I have a ibook G3 500 right now, but it only has a 10 gig hard drive and no cd-rw drive. Where I'm working now I could really use a little more room and a cd-rw possibility. I don't really want to just take the small step and get another G3 with the other options because I'd like to have this iBook around for a while. Sooo....where is the cheapest place to find this? Or, is the Apple Store really my best choice (I hope not I don't have that kind of money because I know I'm going to get a new iMac for home). Any other suggestions? Maybe I should just buy an external? But, if I can I'd rather have it all in my notebook. Thanks for the help
  2. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    I got my iBook as a refurb from Apple. It's a G4 800mhz with 256 mb of ram and a 30gb HD. It's got a CDRW/DVD drive. I think i paid $950. about 3 mos. ago....

Either way, it saved me some money and it's a great little computer. i'm not looking for tons of power though, cause I have a G5 also. this is just to keep me happy at work where they make me use a Dell.

Of all the placed I checked, the apple refurb store had the best prices.
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    beware the fact apple does not allow authorized retailers to change the prices too much. you may save a few bucks, receive freebies or "save" on taxes but prices will not be much different from what's offered on if you see prices far below apple's official price for the current gen. machines, then it's highly likely to be a fraud.

check refurb stores and edu stores, if you qualify. otherwise, order from a mail-retailer from out of state to possibly avoid sales tax. (but you'll only be able to get stock ones, mostly...)
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    You have to shop around because there are a few stores that constantly give rebates and good deals like microcenter and circuitcity. BUt the safest bet would be to buy from apple because you know it will be safe and if you have a problem you have apple care. The other stores don't give you apple care so thats something to consider.