Cheapest place to get Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hugh, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Who has the cheapest price to get Windows XP Pro. So far all the prices I've been finding is about $120.00. Any places where I can get that below $100? Any places you might know of that I didn't find though google?

Thanks!

Hugh

2. whyrichard macrumors 68000

sometimes, the cheapest place to find something is where you already bought it.

r.

3. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

If you have a Sam's Club membership I know they sell it there. Not sure the price but I'm sure its competitive.

Oh BTW where in Erie are you from? I lived in Edinboro for about 6 years.

4. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Does it have to be Pro? You can get Home for like $90 in
    a lot of places. Newegg has it for that.

5. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Home does not support multiple processors so if you have a Core Solo mini it would be fine.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A dual core or hyperthreaded signle core CPU (seen as two CPUs) is treated as a single processor by XP Home, and is thus supported. See. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=192370

B

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You're not going to find it much cheaper than $120 from a trusted store (maybe ebay or something). It may go on sale or if you keep searching you may find it cheaper, for the extra time you are going to spend searching, it's probably not worth it. I'd just purchase the one you found.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As was posted in another thread another thing to consider is buying XP MCE OEM, since it will install Pro if you don't use disc #2 and is usually cheaper than Pro.

B

9. acrafton macrumors 6502

This is OEM . . .not legal

FYI, the link is for OEM versions that are stamped "For distribution with a new PC only" so, if you care, it is not legal for you to buy it and use. . .

10. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

OEM does not mean illegal, it just means it doesn't have the nice box and manual that the retail box does. For example OEM hard drives don't have a nice box and cables but that doesn't make them illegal!

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually, OEM software must be distributed with new "hardware". For example, Newegg will sell you an OEM copy of XP "bundled" with a Molex power cable splitter (new hardware). This is legal.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Newegg no longer requires the hardware bundle as the terms have changed, for the better IMHO.
    So it's more about the integration/inseperability from a give system (once installed) and the total lack of support direct from Microsoft than anything else.

Amusingly here's where it gets interesting...

I'm sure this would be hard to enforce, and under the base or inside the battery compartment sound "easily accessible" enough to me.

B

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Really? I bought XP about 4 months ago and had to do the Molex connector thing...not that it was a problem (I actually used it). When did they change things?

As for that sticker, the point is mostly that once you put it on, you can't re-attach it to a new computer. I think it's more a deterrent against buying one copy and then installing it on dozens of PCs.

14. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

No I don't have a SAM's Club membership, I never figured it was worth it for me since I don't buy in bulk.

As for Erie, I currently live on the East side of Erie, but I grew up on the west side.

Hugh

15. tonyl macrumors 6502

Right, Home is fine for sigle dual core.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unless you actually need one of the features in Pro, like IPSec, encrypted filesystems, more granular security...

Funny, those are all features that are standard in Mac OS....

B

17. imacintel macrumors 68000

Lol. I just used my HP CD i got with my old Compaq R4000

18. jsalicru macrumors regular

Actually, SP2 addresses the dual core issue if you have XP Home.

Also, I believe the OEM Licence allows them to re-sell it as long as the package is sealed. It can be used for computer builders.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Although effective, that is most probably a violation of your EULA. Most "come with" licenses are the OEM kind and are tied to a specific machine and are thus not legally transferable to another machine. (Unlike an unused OEM license purchased from NewEgg, or a retail package license).

B

20. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i agree, i searched using froogle and they have reasonable prices

21. Timepass macrumors 65816

Ok OEM is ment only to be installed on a New PC that you built. Legally speaking you can not buy an OEM copy for your intel mac because you are NOT the OEM.

Now with my home built PC I am currently on I legelly have an OEM copy of XP pro on it because I am the OEM of the computer.

Apple is the only one who can installed an OEM copy of XP on a mac because they are the OEM of apple computers.

Legelly you need to buy a full verson Retail copy of windows.
    Also for most of you all there is noughting offered by XP pro that you would use that is not in XP home. What it means by not supporting dual CPU means it will not support 2 seperated CPUs (basicly they need to be plug into 2 differnt sockets. Dual core is seen as one CPU by the computer. Yes when you look at in inside windows you see 2 cpus but it only one and windows knows that).

The big things that Pro has that Home does not is system restore, networks are limitied to 10 computers (not going to be a problems for most of you) and it does not have remote desktop and considering OSX does not have remote desktop in it at all (3rd party app only) that not an issue for you all. Plus very very few people ever touch it. Remote desktop is mostly used by network admins. simpleless way to put it over 90% of people who use XP really only need XP home. Pro gives them nogthing they would ever use and would not noticed any differnce.

22. SpAtZ macrumors regular

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think not, but then again IANAL, but neither are you (I hope). Here's Microsoft's definition of who can use an OEM license under the System Builder License.

I would say that someone using Boot Camp on their Intel Mac would qualify as the latter.

B

24. Timepass macrumors 65816

I dont see it like that and I dont think M$ sees it that way either. Huge part way most places would require you to buy OEM software with hardware. Installer of software general falls you take a blank computer with noughting on it and install everything from scratch to sell.
    It pretty clear that the Mac is not a computer to fill that spot and clearly you are not an OEM. General OEM are the ones selling or building the computer. Now if lets say I reselling a computer I could be the OEM but I am resposible to handle all the complates and warrenty issues with the hardware to the hardware manufactors. People with the Mac dont have that respondiblly, You go to apple for all your problems.

Btw you need to read the system builder license again. It states you are the Orgainal ..... So that means you need to be the ORGAINAL installer of software on computer systems.

I dont think the intel mac falls in to that spot at all so again I repeat the ONLY LEGAL way to install windows on the intel mac is to buy a full retail verson. Hate to break that 2 you.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you even read the Microsoft System Builder License I posted a link to and quoted?

The license gives you the right to resell an unopened OEM license pack to a thrid party System Builder which inculdes not only OEMs as you define them, but also "installer of software on computer systems".

Personally, I used an XP Home SP2 retail upgrade license which I transferred from the PC I replaced the iMac with. The EULA of the retail version explicitly grants me that right.

Are you suggesting that if I were to build a box, install only Linux on it for a few months, and then decide to go out and install XP on that same box I built that I would no longer qualify for an OEM license? But, I would have been fine if I had installed it Day 1?

EDIT: Carefully read the SBL again. Everything from item 2 on only apply once you have opened the package and accepted the SBL for that particular package and "married" it to a single computer. Only item 1 is important to help you understand who is qualified to accept the SBL by opening the package and installing it on a given PC.

The fact that they include not only installers, OEMS and assemblers, but RE-assemblers implies that their definition of what constitutes an original install is MUCH broader than yours.

B