cheapest solution to get xbox 360 online wirelessly without buying the xbox adapter

Discussion in 'Games' started by wnameth, Jan 18, 2006.

1. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

okay, i tried to run ethernet through the cold air ducts only to run into problems, so i want to find an inexpensive solution to get my xbox online, like 30US or so, anyone know of any routers that will do this.. i have a d-link router upstairs, and and i have 3 computers on the network wirelessly, can i just put another router in my room and plug the xbox into it? PLEASE HELP, I NEED TO GET ONLIN ASAP!

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...826619&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

3. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah.

Works fine for me. o_O

I have a DLink wireless router, a Intel 100 hub, and that.

5. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

one problem, its like 85US or more!!! that is way more then i want to spend, i got my d-link router for like 35$ CAD.... would a d-link 524 or d-link 514 work... is there software i would have to load because almost all of these only have Windows CD's to configure them...

6. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

Isn't there a way to plug the xbox into your laptop and turn on the Internet sharing so it can use the wireless. I've tried it and couldn't get it to work, it's a pain to set up from what I've read. Check the forums.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have been able to share the wireless internet from my PowerBook to my 360 and play on live. I found this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=164617&highlight=xbox+360+internet+sharing. Go down until you see MacRumorUser's post, just over half way down. I did what he said and it worked perfect.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

9. Skippy438 macrumors newbie

I have a linksys wireless router that I use for my computers (for wired mostly) and an Airport Express that I use to stream iTunes to my stereo. Is there any way to get them talking to get my 360 online wirelessly?

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

That wouldn't work. You need to install drivers for the adaptor and I doubt that this adaptor includes xb360 drivers with the package.

11. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I gave up trying to get onto XBL through my PB. Ended up getting the wireless bridge, but if I ever figure it out I'll route it through my Mac Mini.
    But in the meantime, the bridge seems to be simplicity itself. At least I'm hoping it will be when it arrives tomorrow!!

12. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

it is from micro$oft. you know.

13. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Glad I could help :D

Cheapest way of getting the 360 online? Do you have any old crap games filling up your shelves.. Take them down to gamestop and trade-em all in.. With the credit buy the offical xbox 360 dongle..

15. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

yea, i have already traded in DVDs and Games, i have like no money.. under 50$ left in my checking account. so i am not buying the xbox 360 wireless thing. u am getting this (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...0874&pfp=srch1) in a trade, will it work?!!!!!

thanks,

-wes

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Link not working? :confused:

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

drill a hole in the wall...run the cable...

cost:

hole $0.00
    cable $0.00 (you already have it)

In all seriousness you can goto the hardware store, and buy supplies to do a nice cat5 install through walls. it basically, like running a phone line. all the parts you buy will have color code wiring instructions. it isn't that hard to and most people that are the least bit handy can make the install look nice.

18. FireArse macrumors 6502a

This is your friend. It was a project I worked on while at 3Com.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRTRV10075

You can put a ethernet cable to it - and it acts as a wireless card (11g) works a charm!

F