cheapest way to ship powermac and monitor across country?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vwcruisn, Jul 7, 2003.

1. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I need to ship a powermac and 19" crt monitor. What is the best way to go about shipping them from california to virginia?

2. jtown macrumors 6502

Which do you want? Best or cheapest? Subject says cheapest, body says best. ;)

Seriously, tho, I've heard FedEx Ground is a good way to ship bulky items. I'm not above making a few FedEx Ground jokes because of their RPS past but I know a lot of people who swear by them for large, heavy items. Relatively low cost and fewer damaged packages than UPS and USPS. The local driver also has a habit of bringing me ground deliveries on Satruday which is fine by me. :)

You might also check Airborne's ground service. The offices on our street used to have the daily "Airborne Exchnage" but their accuracy seems to have improved the last couple of years.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My vote:

Airborne first
    FedEx second.

UPS is damage prone.

Go online, plug in the zip codes, package dimensions and weight and choose your speed and voila! You'll get an idea of what the price is. If you know of someone who has a FedEx or Airborne account and ships a lot with them, see if they'll let you ship it under their account. You can save a lot of money that way.

Whatever you do, don't ship it via common carrier, stick with one of the integrators, FX, AB, UPS, DHL, etc.

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

on the same subject (don't want to start a new thread) how about sending things overseas .. like an Xserve or a 20th Anniversary Mac?

Japan > U.S.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

FedEx is the undisputed leader in Asia. They used to use Fritz as their customs broker and if there were any customs disputes it was an absolute nightmare to deal with them. So, now that things have changed, I recommend using FedEx for shipping into the US. UPS is also good. I would recommend that you check around because I'm not that familiar with pricing from Japan to the US. You might well find a better price but as far as ease of use, FedEx and UPS are your best bets.

DHL, TNT, Airborne and FedEx/UPS for shipments into or out of Europe, in that order if anyone is interested:D