Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I have found disks that say "media only" for really cheap and I realize those aren't licenses but since the eMac has Tiger wouldn't it already have an OSX license? Links to products would be nice if possible. Thanks.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
just buy a leopard install dvd at ebay or so
but it has to be a retail disc , the grey discs you get are model specific and only work on the models they had been made for

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
this is the one i was specifically thinking of but I'm not sure if it would work.

http://www.govgroup.com/Apple_Mac_OS_X_v_10_5_4_Leopard___Media_Only_MC098ZM_A-1580107-prd1.htm
That's way too cheep to be official Apple Media.

Retail prices on Leopard media is going to be at least $100 and possibly more.

Crazy, I know. You may be able to snag an old copy of legit media from someone who upgraded to Snow Leopard and decided they didn't want their old retail Leopard media anymore.

Given the percentage of older macs that can't run Snow Leopard at all, I would think that Apple would continue to make a good deal of money by selling Leopard themselves...

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
That's way too cheep to be official Apple Media.

Retail prices on Leopard media is going to be at least $100 and possibly more.

Crazy, I know. You may be able to snag an old copy of legit media from someone who upgraded to Snow Leopard and decided they didn't want their old retail Leopard media anymore.

Given the percentage of older macs that can't run Snow Leopard at all, I would think that Apple would continue to make a good deal of money by selling Leopard themselves...

i suppose apple got annoyed with people who hang on to their old g5 /g4 Mac's for money or sentimental reasons and did still want support for these ancient, obsolete systems :eek:
so leopard was only meant to show these relic hunters the future , by now everybody should know how apples future looks like ...snow leopard -bootcamp-windows 7 ...if you cant run it on your mac its time to buy a new mac and if you cant afford one its your fault get a better payed job or buy a pc , apple doesn't need you they made their profit when you bought your old mac ....thats how it looks like
when i mention windows 7 its suppose to run even on older pc's a bit slower but about the performance of win 98 and it does run on pentium 2 , and equivalent amd processors so in terms of upgrade options windows 7 is good it supports even old pc's that are about as old as the first generation iMac g3
so microsoft offers the option to install their windows 7 on your old pc's and some hackers can make snow leopard run on amd processors and intel atom processors with some hacking , why is it so difficult for apple to make snow leopard run on older mac's too , its in really basic terms only implementing the driver support for g3/g4/g5 processors like they did in leopard

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
hmm... the govgroup website has a whole bunch of images at the bottom, like Visa, MC, BBB, but none of these are real links, which is a sure sign of a scam site. Legit companies don't put those logos on websites without a link behind them.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
hmm... the govgroup website has a whole bunch of images at the bottom, like Visa, MC, BBB, but none of these are real links, which is a sure sign of a scam site. Legit companies don't put those logos on websites without a link behind them.

Good call. That HAS to be a scam site. I would stay far, far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.