Check for clean uninstallation of already removed app....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acidity, Jan 15, 2007.

1. acidity macrumors regular

I was reading this article: http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Now, the problem is that in last 2-3 months I have just dropped apps on trash without checking for dependency...is there any way to find out now if there are any dependency left in system even though the application has been removed?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

From the Finder do a Find for the name of the app.s you've deleted. Or, if you can't remember what you have deleted, look through Library > Preferences. Are you having trouble with your machine? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

I am not having any problem as such but would like to just keep the hard disk usage to as low as possible.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, I'd do a Spotlight search for the app's name to see if you can find anything. But most small apps only leave behind a .plist file, which is usually about 4 KB in size...a blank Word document takes up several times that, so I wouldn't be too concerned about leftover files unless they're causing a problem.

5. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Dosnt look like much up there in my box.

I was thinking though is there any tool available which does a system wide scan and give me usage report like: Which folder has the files of maximum size, types of files that takes up the most amount of space in my hard disk etc.?

What do you people use to do such kind of maintenance checkup?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member