Check out our new news set!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hotwire132002, Aug 1, 2006.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

As some of you may know, I do a ton of work with our public access cable TV station (as in, I pretty much run the place -- I have as much say there as the "official" station manager.)

I've put together a number of newscasts during my time with the station, but the one thing we've always lacked was a decent set. Not anymore, though -- I managed to get a wonderfully talented local woodworker to build us a new set , just in time for our big "station relaunch" (read all about that one here.

The best part? The entire set (except for the blue backdrop, which I paid $130 to have printed) was donated -- a very helpful thing on an operating budget like ours! Now that we have a news set, our newscast is actually (in many local residents' opinions) much better than some local network affiliates... but I'll let you be the judge. ;-)

You can check out our newscast online using our one of our video podcasts (iTunes>Advanced>Subscribe to Podcast)--
    http://www.cctv-cadillac.org/podcast/news.xml
    http://www.cctv-cadillac.org/podcast/weather.xml
    http://www.cctv-cadillac.org/podcast/sports.xml

I'd love to hear your opinion of our newscast. Keep in mind -- it's produced entirely by high school students! =)

Attached Files:

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks -- it's thanks to these forums that we have it. An MR Member composed it! =D

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. bradc macrumors 6502

Excellent work! I'm very impressed, I use to be a cameraman at my local station when I was in University. So now I donate back now, I bought two Powermac G5's and four G4's for the studio. There's a program there that helps inner-city kids develop skills. So every year I buy equipment and help teach kids whatever filming & editing skills I have.

Ahh, good memories.

Edit: Just watched the News clip, it's good! Really interesting too about the Environmentally friendly house, there was a similar clip on my local news station too!

EDIT #2: How many people are involved in your production? Maybe I can help donate some equipment come winter when I usually go do my quarterly visits! What do you guys need? I've had pretty good luck with a local manufacturer here.

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Hey, thanks for the compliments! :)

Regarding the possibility of donating some equipment, PM me or email ewotila@cctv-cadillac.org. I'd love to chat more about the concept! :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's really cute! :D

I did public access when I was in high-school -- I did a little directing and a lot of crew work. It was so much fun...I really miss it.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

hotwire, you kinda got me where I live.

I work in a public access studio in the northeast Ohio area. It's an interesting job, and I like the people I work with. We don't do news (that'd be sweet!), but we do do government meetings & programs about our community.

Downsides of my job are that the pay sucks and they could only give me part-time hours. (That, and the inevitable lunatics that hang around public access studios. :rolleyes: )

Unfortunately, I've got some big debts to pay off, and upcoming expenses to pay for, and much as I like it, this job just ain't doin' it for me. So I'm in my second-last day with the studio. :( I took a job downtown, doing video for a legal services company, but I'm betting I won't like it as much. (Money's a lot better though.)

But I know what you mean about working public access. It's not "big-time" TV like the local network affiliates, but there's a helluva lot less pressure. And it's more rewarding in its own way. I often look at the local "action news" channels, running around in this hot weather to do sensational stories about accident victims, and I think to myself, "Ha. Most of my work is indoors, done on some of the same equipment the "big" channels use, and at the end of the day, I can feel proud of the work we do.

I just wish I didn't have to give it up. :(

9. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Yeah, I have the same concerns, especially with the coming minimum wage increase here in Michigan (going from $5.15 to $6.95 an hour). On our station's budget, I'm really hoping I can continue getting paid... :(

In any case, though, I'm getting the last of my high school credit by working for the station, so I can wait to worry about the pay issue until I'm done with high school in December. I do hope, though, that I can find a way to stay with the station for a while after that, though.

In other news -- I just received an email from Apple that our podcasts were accepted into iTunes! :D They should show up in the directory within a few hours. It'll be cool if we manage to get some viewers, especially once we start doing daily news next week.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Cool. :)

11. bradc macrumors 6502

Yeah I'll e-mail you and see what I can buy this year. This year, I'll probably be buying 10-15 Mac Mini's because the innercity program is doing well. If it keeps these kids off the street, and out of gangs&crime, and offers them a future, I think spending my money on that is 100% completely worth it. I'll see what I can do for your station;)

12. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Wow, thanks! Let me know if you're able to get anything for us -- like I said, feel free to stay in touch via email (ewotila@cctv-cadillac.org) or PM. I'll look forward to hearing from you -- it would be awesome if you can get us anything at all, and if you can't I completely understand. I'll look forward to hearing from you in the future! :)

13. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

*waves* !

Really like the new look - the set & graphics looks great.

14. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks! Of course, we couldn't have put it together without you -- the theme you composed for us is fantastic (as I've mentioned quite a few times now ;) ).

BTW -- I'll be putting together a reopen in the next week or two. I'll be sure to get you a video clip when it's done.

15. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Thats brill - I got the clips today which are great so I'll look forward to the full opening sequence! :)