Check out the feature film I shot (at age 14!)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hotwire132002, Sep 25, 2006.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Here's a blast from the past --

I just put up a web site for Internet Detectives: Net Bandits. It's a feature film I shot at the age of fourteen. It's not Hollywood quality or anything, but hey, I was 14 ;)

The film is based on the book fo the same title by Michael Coleman -- I actually obtained the (non-exclusive) movie rights to the book.

The film's biggest weakness is the use of on-camera mics -- yeah, I know, OUCH. Other than that, though, it's pretty decent. Like I said, not Hollywood quality, but good enough to make it into a couple film festivals and impress a number of indie filmmakers.

I made the film available for free through the site, for anyone interested in watching. Trailers are going to be online soon. (just submitted the podcast to iTunes, as well -- with a little luck, it will be available through the iTMS in a few days.)

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Watched the fisrt bit of it. Up until the kid started getting e-mails from different areas. Pretty Good... looks something like my Vic Loves Mac video....
    I have a question though, did you write the script or was it from that book you mentioned? Either way I am really surprsised at the amount of footage you have. It takes forever to do a film that long and than to find actors that have time to do it... that takes even longer.. Very good job :)

Its on my site if you wanna go look, under blog and than Archives

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Yeah -- I saw Vic Loves Mac a while back -- Quite entertaining :D Nice job :)

To answer your question -- I converted the book into a screenplay. The book was about 120 pages, the screenplay is 196 (though it's at an 18 point font because I was stupid ;))

We shot over the course of 6 months or so, because of peoples' clashing schedules. It was a ton of work, but it was a lot of fun, too -- and I'm actually working on a second feature now. (I've learned a lot more about filmmaking in the two and a half years since we shot IDNB) More on that later ;) As to the amount of footage -- I haven't gone through my archive tapes recently, but if I recall correctly, we shot at least 20 hours of footage. We'd have as many as 20 takes on some scenes (especially when Will goofed off - check the outtakes at the end :D)

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude