Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
livingfortoday said:
Reeeeally? Where was this? The Microcenter near me has no such deals, and I could use some more drives...
The Microcenter in Overland Park. Did you check the OEM section in the BYOC part of the store? They had an entire rack of OEM drives.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I didn't know there was a Microcenter in Overland Park. I've always wanted to go to one, but have never seen one. I'm in Blue Springs, and could probably take a long drive this weekend.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, I haven't been to the Microcenter in about a week, but last time I went they wanted $200+ for a 500GB. I guess I should go back tomorrow and check it out! Thanks for the tip.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
mattcube64 said:
I didn't know there was a Microcenter in Overland Park. I've always wanted to go to one, but have never seen one. I'm in Blue Springs, and could probably take a long drive this weekend.
Are you familiar with Metcalf road? Its at the corner of Metcalf and 95th Street, in the same shopping plaza as Michael's. There is also a Borders and some other stores over there as well.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2004
slabbius said:
Stumbled across this: Hitachi 7200RPM 500GB SATA

The drives are $169.99 - $40 rebate, that brings them to $129.99 each. I bought two...

Hope someone else finds this usefull

i have those hitachi drives and they are a pita because you have to use some windows software to enable 3gbs mode... they ship in 1.5gbs mode. i would really recommend getting something with jumpers.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
hal0n said:
i have those hitachi drives and they are a pita because you have to use some windows software to enable 3gbs mode... they ship in 1.5gbs mode. i would really recommend getting something with jumpers.

As long as you never hit 150MB/s sustainable transfer speeds, there is absolutely no reason to worry. Just because the bandwidth is available doesn't mean a certain device uses it.

Let me be clear on one thing, current hard drive designs do not come near the theoretical bandwidth.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
Pressure said:
As long as you never hit 150MB/s sustainable transfer speeds, there is absolutely no reason to worry. Just because the bandwidth is available doesn't mean a certain device uses it.

Let me be clear on one thing, current hard drive designs do not come near the theoretical bandwidth.

Depends. The rather large cache nowdays could probably do more then sata1. But yeah sustained bandwidth is well well below the bus speed. Even with ata-100 there was no real bottleneck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.