Check out this new iPod!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pozytron, Jul 11, 2004.

1. pozytron macrumors newbie

...wait, it's not an iPod!

[​IMG]
    Buy it on Amazon!

Take a look at the onscreen menus... look a tad familiar?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

yawn...nothing to see here, move along...

btw, pozytron, I though Dawn of the Dead was a really good movie. :) :D :cool:

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Did they jack the iPod OS too? It looks very much the same. Oooooh, and the pretty blue backlight; where have I seen that before?

5. bluebull macrumors member

I love the "Ok" button.
    It even has its own finger groove. Something about it is just making me laugh... :rolleyes:

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

and it lasts 50 days on the open market before being discontinued due to a lack of demand.....

7. jhershauer macrumors member

Well, it's not just a finger groove...it's their version of the Apple touch wheel, and apple does have an "OK" button in the middle of their wheel, they just didn't label it. If their touch pad keeps scrolling as long as you're applying pressure up or down, then it should work fine, but if you have to keep picking up and re-swiping your finger, it's not going to cut it.

This thing doesn't make me want to trade in my iPod, but as copycats go, this is about as nice of a device as I've seen. They just need to bring the size down a tad more to match the iPod. In "pocket devices", every ounce counts.

Edit: I guess they're at least providing a nice feature with that extra weight and thickness...24 hour battery life. That could really make a difference for some on-the-go people.

8. hob macrumors 68020

hob

unless this is what you were gettin at - the OS (whilst indeed looks just like the iPod OS) looks just like the OS I just saw on a Dell DJ!!

Hob

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This is the player I would get if I didn't get an iPod

10. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Looks like they glued a plasticy interface over an iPod....smooth move, guys.

11. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Doesn't anyone think for themselves anymore? Now its just, "let's see how close we can copy Apple without a lawsuit."

Makes me sick. Blah.

12. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Actually, as much as I use random, especially when playing my whole library. I think it's pretty convenient.

Other than that though, I don't know why people think this is a copy of the iPod. It looks nothing like the iPod to me. It rather ugly.

13. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    It's decent looking, but my God, I'd need a road map to navigate the buttons. Left, right, center, and around on the sides! I'm easily confused already. This thing would make my head hurt!

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Many may try to copy and idea. In the end you will get the quality that you pay for the item. It seems when an idea is copied, the quality is lower.

15. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I wish my iPod had a shuffle button.

16. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Imagine it was a button that performed random features rather than just shuffling. Click it and anything could happen :D

17. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Actually, I think this is probably the best iPod copy yet. It's cheaper than an iPod, has a 20GB hard drive, not much bigger than an iPod, and has a 24 hour battery life. That's 3 times longer than the iPod, and could really sway people to buy the Zen instead. I really hope the 4th gen iPods get a battery like this one.

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Impossible to use with only one hand. (at least without extreme contortion ^_^) Maybe if you hold it upside down.

19. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

It's a Creative player.

In other words, Best in terms of audio qualtiy, second or third best in terms of features (iRiver and possibly Rio are better in this respect. But nothing will beat iRiver in terms of features.)

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I like it. Nice clean design.
    I will forward my home address for those who feel compelled to come by and hurl burning objects.

21. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I forgot to mention, the reason why the Dell DJ's menus are similar, is because Creative designed the menus for Dell. They may have also designed the internals aswell. I think the Dell DJ has similar Audio Quality to Creative's players.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

23. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

How about "Better audio qualtiy and battery life"?

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Important Research

Biopure a company in Cambridge is struggling to be the first company to develop artificial blood. In the casse of mass casulities there is a great need for this kind of alterantive. A definite way to know that you are getting blood free of disease.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/biotechnology/articles/2004/07/16/substitute_strategy/

Scientists are struggling to understand the effect of greenhouse gas being absored by the ocean. It makes the ocean increase in acidity. They knew that the ocean absobed CO2, just not the amount.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/07/16/greenhouse_gas_buildup_seen_as_risk_to_oceans/

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you noticed that 70% of the people who looked at it still went with something else?

I'm happy with my mini thank you. Batter life doesn't bother me to much, and I have better headphones already. I'm normally not one for style over substance, but so far I've been pretty happy with the substance.

My only complaint is a lack of voice recording. I might get a 4th Gen iPod and an iTalk some day. Maybe.