Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
It only costs a buck.

Yeah but I deleted this app because some people required confirmation codes to be sent just to use this app and they weren't getting confirmation codes neither was the support emails being answered so we switched to Ping! and it works a lot better especially instant notifications. Hasnt missed a beat. Cant see why its a buck when another competing application which does pretty much the same thing is free.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yeah but I deleted this app because some people required confirmation codes to be sent just to use this app and they weren't getting confirmation codes neither was the support emails being answered so we switched to Ping! and it works a lot better especially instant notifications. Hasnt missed a beat. Cant see why its a buck when another competing application which does pretty much the same thing is free.

Ping is a joke. This whole back and forth between these apps is becoming an even bigger joke. Both of the creators need to fix their apps and beef them up and get them working CORRECTLY instead of having a ho down on a forum to see whose better.

As of now, ping is crap. Looks like it was made by a teeny bopper on crack. It's glitchy as hell.

FYI - Whats app creator - Open WhatsApp - Favorites screen - Tap EDIT and then select the "TAP HERE TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS" note to select it for deletion - then tap DELETE - program crashes every single time you do that.

Is it just mine?

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
FYI - Whats app creator - Open WhatsApp - Favorites screen - Tap EDIT and then select the "TAP HERE TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS" note to select it for deletion - then tap DELETE - program crashes every single time you do that.

Is it just mine?

woa thanks.. just reproduced it. will fix in the upcoming version. good catch.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Developer: Lets say I get a push notification. Is it possible to make it so when I load up the app to read that message it doesnt vibrate again to indicate the new message has been loaded? I find that to be the most annoying thing about BeeJive

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Ping is a joke.

As of now, ping is crap. Looks like it was made by a teeny bopper on crack. It's glitchy as hell.

Each one to its own. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but just because you say its crap doesnt mean its crap for everyone. It works perfectly for me, maybe its you thats glitchy?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
there are two possible explanations:

1. we "throttle" push notifications as to not annoy the recipient: http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/#34

can you make this optional in the next version? Many times, i'll be in a chat exit out and go to a different app and totally miss that my friends wrote back. I'd rather be annoyed with the push notification rather than miss sent messages.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
can you make this optional in the next version? Many times, i'll be in a chat exit out and go to a different app and totally miss that my friends wrote back. I'd rather be annoyed with the push notification rather than miss sent messages.

+1

This feature would be good if it worked this way: I leave the APP, and my friend sends me 10 messages, but it immediately sends me the first one that he sent me with a push notification. Then, when I'm in the app, it delivers the rest. Of course, if a few minutes go by and I havent checked the app yet, keep going through the messages with push notifications.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California

its already fixed in the upcoming release. wanted to start out on the conservative side with push notifications, but even I was bitten by this problem when i missed a few important messages when they weren't pushed:)

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Big feature request - i keep hitting the send button accidentally! so do all my buddies. Can it be moved to resemble the iphone native messaging app?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
its already fixed in the upcoming release. wanted to start out on the conservative side with push notifications, but even I was bitten by this problem when i missed a few important messages when they weren't pushed:)

Whoo hoo!!!

Can't wait for the update. Also, just FYI, doing what I can to get friends to get the app but now that it isn't free, they are hessitant since
not a lot of people are on it yet. Maybe make a lite version to add like up to 5 people? I have no problem paying for apps but I think for now, you should
really try to expand your base so that everyone feels like they *have* to have it :) if you can get that, we will all eventually have more than 5 people on our lists. Just a suggestion.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
JKB what's the latest on Whatsapp? Keep this thread alive, Ping is getting all the attention and it is not even as good as whatsapp

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
waiting to get version 2.1 approved by apple store:)

Great!!! Can't wait. The feature already incorporated, seeing when someone is typing a response is so handy, especially when you are in a situation where making a phone call is not possible. Knowing someone is on the other end saves allot of wasted time.

Edit: Maybe you should change the title of this thread to indicate what the app is about so it will stand out like the Ping thread.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
That's for sure. Lots of people I chat with on both WhatsApp and Ping have already deleted Ping. So keep up the great work, I'm loving this app.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I still think WhatsApp UI is clunky, cluttered, disorganized, chaotic, etc., plus the name is ugly. I've sent an email with 10+ name suggestions to the developer, but apparently, it was ignored. Thanks.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
The biggest problem with Ping! and WhatsApp is that all parties that want to communicate using either app must have that app installed. It's great that I can text with other iPhone users for free if they have the same app installed that I have. I don't know about anyone else, but my friends have a variety of phones on many different carriers. So any texting app that does not allow me to send texts, for free, to other phone types and carriers is pretty much useless.

So, I went looking for an app that would allow me to text for free with other iPhone users like Ping! and WhatsApp, do. But also allowed me to text with non-iPhone and non-AT&T customers for free as well. What I found was Unlimited SMS. It costs a little bit more up front, but it lets me SMS with just about anyone, for free. It works great and is fast and reliable.

S-

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
These two apps were not designed to text to everyone. They are marketed as a type of Blackberry Messenger, but for the iPhone. Would you call it a drawback that Blackberry Messenger can't sms to other phones except Blackberrys?

RLembke

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Kansas City
jkb -

I was messaging someone via the app last night who was talking on the phone at the time. Every time I sent a message, I got back a "user doesn't have push activated" message. In fact they do. When I talked to them again this morning and they were not on the phone, the message did not appear.

Is this a bug?

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
These two apps were not designed to text to everyone. They are marketed as a type of Blackberry Messenger, but for the iPhone. Would you call it a drawback that Blackberry Messenger can't sms to other phones except Blackberrys?

I understand that the two apps, Ping! and WhatsApp, were not designed to text everyone. I know what they are designed to do. Yes, I would say it is a huge drawback that the Blackberry Messenger can't SMS to other phones except Blackberry phones.

However, Unlimited SMS is designed to do what they do PLUS text people on a lot of other phones and carriers for free too. Along with texting with my iPhone buddies for free that have the app, I can text Aunt May on Verizon and Uncle Carl on T-Mobile for free with Unlimited SMS. I can't do that with Ping! or WhatsApp.

Unlimited SMS has been faster and more reliable that either Ping! or WhatsApp.

The nicest thing is I don't have to get anyone to download any apps or do anything special.....

S-

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I understand that the two apps, Ping! and WhatsApp, were not designed to text everyone. I know what they are designed to do. Yes, I would say it is a huge drawback that the Blackberry Messenger can't SMS to other phones except Blackberry phones.

However, Unlimited SMS is designed to do what they do PLUS text people on a lot of other phones and carriers for free too. Along with texting with my iPhone buddies for free that have the app, I can text Aunt May on Verizon and Uncle Carl on T-Mobile for free with Unlimited SMS. I can't do that with Ping! or WhatsApp.

Unlimited SMS has been faster and more reliable that either Ping! or WhatsApp.

The nicest thing is I don't have to get anyone to download any apps or do anything special.....

S-

What you say is true...but your missing the point. This is giving iphone users another way to text OTHER iphone users. Its a simple way to communicate among your other cool friends with iphones... the IN crowd :) so to speak. I do like these type apps, they aim to give the iphone its own messaging client.

I do also use USMS and it works very well, i use that for all my personal contacts. IMO IM apps like Beejive should be the death of SMS/MMS and texting in general, its just not everyone has an IM account like everyone seems to have a cell phone or web enabled phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.