check this guy out!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Nov 5, 2003.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. Geetar macrumors regular

Yes, persistantly foolish. If I wanted anyone to think my (expensive and ongoing) education was a waste of time/resources, this is precisely how I would go about it.

And yet,sadly, in amongst the drivel is a grain of truth.

He's doing a terrible job of explaining the widely-recognised tendency of certain mastering engineers to smash the sh*t out of otherwise well-recorded material. All in the name of "louder than the last guy's" on the radio. And after a bit, "smashed" becomes the generic sound, and even producers/mixers start to go for it.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i agree whole heartedly believe me.

i was just trying to find the positive.

5. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

What a wild request. very bold.

Maybe it's a sting operation!

6. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

Lol, hilarious....great read....

PS...anyone want some CDs ;)

7. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you never know

when i see something strange, i tell my friends over at the fbi...i used to share building with them when i was a federal worker

i just saw, what looked scam like, about an operation that sold child molesters' records and addresses, but for a price

that information is available at any county courthouse for free and i assume the scammers went there, got some of the records sufficiently enough to make a small database, and tried to make their site into a dot.com

the reason i know it is a scam is that it says there are 2 resitered sex offenders in the nearby town of sixty plus thousand residents...the news reported at least 40, if not more in that same town and i assume as the scammers get more numbers from the courthouse, that number will increase up from 2

these scammers, who ask for your credit card number, will eventually get caught but in the meantime they will get money from innocent unsuspeting victims

9. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

What a humerous thread - good morning entertainment! It's funny that the RIAA goes after grandparents and school children in the USA and yet allows massive proliferation of illegal material to be embedded in the culture of a large percentage of the world's population!

True, brings the Mixer Man chronicles to mind (Thanks again for the recommendation actionslacks!) and supports the rationale for listening to College radio and artists on independent labels. . .

10. Geetar macrumors regular

Yes, once you've had your own efforts turned into a sonic "escalope de veau".....["Would Sir care for the 7-lb hammer or the full 15-lb?"] you dream of working with mastering engineers like Brad Blackwood (whose forum on ProSoundWeb I highly recommend), Jack the Bear (Tony Mantz), Dave Collins and others of that ilk.

Oh, yes, it's always worth remembering, when you're dissing a producer/engineer/mixer, that they can still have their asses handed to them on a plate as a result of a careless mastering job. Mixerman has direct experience of this, I believe.

The Mixerman stuff is great, but there's a thousand stories like this out there. It's so common, you have no idea. A friend of mine, who was a well-respected producer, hated having to go and FIND the band members every day- asleep under tables in bars, in jail after fights in bars, in jail after being picked up for acts of Gross Indecency etc for the next day's tracking session. Now he will only work as a mixer !