Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

posixstudent

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2003
Springfield
what issue????

I was going to post this earlier, but I had to set up my external source for the screenshot.

There is no relevant issue with this story. If you wanted to use MMJB then you should have pushed the “Cancel” button.

{Screenshot follows:}
ipod.jpg

I believe the relevant question is, should people read or be capable of reading information under the heading of “Information Please read the following text. Press PAGE DOWN to read the full text.”?

In support of assisted technology, I will state the notice from Apple Computer in text so that text to speech software (which 90+% of you all apparently use) can read it for you.

“Important: After installing iTunes 4.1 for Windows, you’ll only be able to transfer music to your iPod using iTunes. To transfer music from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you’ll need to first import the music into iTunes.”

As for those that debate ethics, there is NO problem to what Apple did. Apple used a legal principle referred to as “Reasonable Persons.” That is, Apple assumed that a reasonable person using iTunes for Windows is able to read the 2nd paragraph of a clearly marked information dialog box.

For those that reply that nobody reads these dialog boxes, you deserve what you get. These are the type of people that would cry “Bloody Murder” when there computer gets messed up by a virus that was installed with an installation process that states “Program Installation, this is a virus do not install. Do you wish to continue? OK, Cancel.”

Sorry for the trolling, but I felt you all deserved it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Originally posted by zync
Yeah and things DO change, and Apple no longer endorses that product. It's not like they screwed you and you're at a loss either because iTunes is free and so was MM techinically because you didn't buy it.

Out of curiosity, what would your opinion be if (hypothethically) Apple was to start charging for iTunes? And with MusicMatch syncing now broken, you wouldn't then have any other option other than to pay for it.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
So what?

Originally posted by whooleytoo
Out of curiosity, what would your opinion be if (hypothethically) Apple was to start charging for iTunes? And with MusicMatch syncing now broken, you wouldn't then have any other option other than to pay for it.

MM sucks either way I would gladly pay for itunes...and yes Apple has its right to choose what can sync to its products...just live with or move on and buy the portable player that works with your beloved mm.. dell crap o player, or the samsung or just wait until uncle bill comes out with their own innovated player..please please get over it use itunes and be happy

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University

Since installing MusicMatch again or continuing to use an old version of iTunes is obviously impossible :rolleyes:

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL

That would be wrong, but you're still able to revert your changes...plus you'd have to buy it to break MMJB :) in the first place so I think it would be ok, especially since we now have proof that they warned us...if however they broke it in such a way that even an uninstall/reinstall wouldn't correct the problem and somehow you had a trial or something that did that and then you'd have to pay, that would be wrong but it's nearly an impossible situation...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Originally posted by zync
That would be wrong, but you're still able to revert your changes...plus you'd have to buy it to break MMJB :)

Ah, this would be Apple's famed ease of use! :D

1) Install MM for iPod, since iTunes wasn't available.
2) Install iTunes for Windows (clicking through the intro dialogs as 90%+ of users do!) to take a look at the music store.
3) Realise MM syncing is now broken, so reinstall to get MM iPod syncing back.
4) There's no step 4! Woohoo!

Admittedly, the fact that Apple does state in the intro dialog that MM no longer works does mitigate quite a bit, but still they should have made it a little more obvious.

I'd love to know how many PC users have read the headlines and been turned off by iTunes:

"iTunes reorganises and moves your music collection"
"iTunes hijacks your file associations"
"iTunes removes functionality from a competitor's app"

It doesn't matter that there are ways of avoiding these pitfalls, the PR damage has been done..

Mike.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Originally posted by whooley

I'd love to know how many PC users have read the headlines and been turned off by iTunes:

"iTunes reorganises and moves your music collection"
"iTunes hijacks your file associations"
"iTunes removes functionality from a competitor's app"

It doesn't matter that there are ways of avoiding these pitfalls, the PR damage has been done..

Mike.

Maybe, but not necessarily. The media has been pretty friendly to Apple on this one:

http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-5101569.html?tag=st_pop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.