CHECK THIS OUT! - More evil music industry DRM tactics!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Lertie32, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Lertie32 macrumors member

I originally posted this yesterday when it first hit the news. It is now becoming big news and there is followup added below too...

------

OMG...
    And now I know I am NEVER buying another CD again!
    :eek:

This link is about a news alert that Sony BMG (and maybe others?) is installing SPYWARE on its CDs!
    What the hell???
    :mad:

It seems centered around Windoze, hidden files, and "manipulates the Windows core processing center, or "kernel," to make the DRM [digital rights management] almost totally undetectable on Windows systems.

These DRM files are almost impossible to remove without fouling Windows systems and could be used by malicious hackers to hide their own programs..."

Perfect. Now we've got the music industry resorting to hacking and spyware tactics. How much you want to bet that these do or will soon have interaction with UNIX/Mac operating systems too?!
    :mad: :mad:

If a company is ALTERING someone's OS and screwing around with system security they should be SUED and SHUT DOWN. Just wait until a hacker stays up tonight and writes some great new virus that takes advantage of these "rootkits" and starts a rampage of identity theft!!

Sony BMG is also the company that was at the root of the "payola" scandal this summer. BOYCOTT SONY BMG!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174334,00.html

Maybe I'm ranting, but this could have MAJOR ramifications and at the very least is one of the most reckless and unethical business actions I've seen in a long time!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

-----

And now today because of a growing "chorus of criticism" Sony BMG is releasing a patch (like we trust them now?) to make this insane and poorly written crap on their CDs visible. Again, this still seems isolated to Windoze right now, but I personally suspect that if they've done this, there likely may be UNIX/Mac OS consequences too.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174452,00.html

2. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Wow, that's just screwed up. Giving people spyware so they can't use their music on their computers...wow.

What sucks is that they're taking advantage of the people that really don't know better. Most Windows users don't know what auto-run is, they don't know what hidden files are. They would probably never even realize that they're computer is being "infected" with spyware (or, more aptly, greed-ware)

I'll buy my next Sony BMG cd from iTunes music store instead.

3. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Old. Months old. Damn, this is so old that it was considered old when I was still a part of UG, and that was months ago.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Here's a really good entry about how it works, and just how evil it is. If you find it and try and disable it it will take your CD drive with it (on a PC). And there's nothing anywhere in the EULA about having stuff installed on your computer. :rolleyes:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm going to bootleg 100% now. No more purchasing.

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

That's an awesome read for nerds like me.:D Those biotches were running DRM protection schemes even as Windows safe boot drivers which means that their software will even load in Safe Mode.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I know. I took secret pleasure in reading that article and I was hoping other nerds-in-denial might as well. :p

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What about the hold-shift-on-insert trick (for windoze)?

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Don't worry, they couldn't pull this crap on OSX if they wanted to. OSX is secure, if the autorun on a CD tried to install something, OSX would prompt you for your password. And I think anyone would be suspicious if an audio CD wanted a password

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Yeap, in fact in other news people are buying Sony music CDs for it's "root kit". It so happens that the software hides all files and processes with $SYS$ in its name, and some WoW players are using this to hide their ingame hacking software from detection by the Warden.

That is absolutely hilarious if you ask me :D

In fact, since under the DMCA since software authors are liable for potential misuse of their software (for piracy purposes) I really hope to see Vivendi/Blizzard turn around and sue Sony for this virus they are spreading around.

12. generik macrumors 601

generik

They can't even be bought from iTMS in Australia.. they want more money it seems.

Those greedy bastards, I will just OUTRIGHT boycott their music.

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You could just turn off autorun (summat I recommend my clients do, as all kindsa crazy **** can run)

14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Whoa. My boyfriend had his mother over the other night, and they were listening to some cd's that she brought over on his pc. He added some of the songs to his library. Ever since we have had major problems accessing his downloaded and paid for songs on his Real Player. It keeps saying either he isn't the owner of the tracks or his computer isn't authorized to play them. We have never had a problem with it in the past, and have downloaded hundreds of dollars worth of songs. Could the above mentioned be the problem? Personally, I use my iBook and iTunes and have never had any problems. And once I did try to load a cd my friend brought over into my iBook and it asked for my password like it does when software is about to be installed. All of a sudden I am wicked mad!!!

15. Lertie32 thread starter macrumors member

16. Lertie32 thread starter macrumors member

Digging deeper

Man, this keeps getting worse.

From MSNBC.com -
    "The antipiracy technology, which works only on Windows computers, prevents customers from making more than a few copies of the CD and prevents them from loading the CD’s songs onto Apple Computer’s popular iPod portable music players. Some other music players, which recognize Microsoft’s proprietary music format, would work."

Oh... and if you try to get rid of this crap spyware, you can no longer play the CD that you bought!!

Wow. I hope Apple sues their sorry asses for antitrust/monopoly violations if they blocked playing on the iPods! And why the hell would I not be able to install music from a CD that was PURCHASED onto my iPod?!?!? Now they're really just driving people in masses to iTMS and P2P with their stupidity and greed, so they deserve every bit of lawsuits, corporate misery, and profit losses that they get.

This is so unbelievably bad, I just might hope that it sinks the company.

17. Lertie32 thread starter macrumors member

And Sony keeps digging deeper

Sony has now deepened its own grave with more bad news... They are in the news again today with new updates in this sticky saga.

Their crap-on-top-of-crap "fix" for this mess creates even WORSE security holes. Don't touch Sony BMG products with a ten foot pole... ever.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175649,00.html

18. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I am so mad on this issue. This is unbelievable that this could be allowed. I believe to have a pc affected by this and I am outraged. I wil NEVER buy any Sony product ever again. Too bad, as we were in the market for a big screen tv and were thinking of getting a Sony. Not anymore. I would encourage anyone who has been affected to do the same. The only way they will realize what they've done is through their "Bottom Line".

19. Lertie32 thread starter macrumors member

bottom line blips

No kidding. It's unbelievable.

Today's news is that they are recalling all of these crap-laden CDs. Since these things probably cost them $0.03 each to make, they'll probably hardly feel any pinch at all. This continues to be a bad situation for -
    A) People like you who now have a screwed up PC that needs to be fixed
    B) People who don't follow the news and aren't aware of this massive problem
    C) Security and IT workers who have to eliminate this stuff

Also, I find it interesting that there is YET to be a complete list given to the public of all CD albums published with this garbage on it. It's almost as if they are trying to leave as much of this DRM garbage out there as they can and are only reluctantly doing the minimum of damage control.

Here are just a few ideas that Sony should have to execute and pay for -
    1) Notice signs to alert the public should be posted in every retail location that sells Sony
    2) A special mailing to all mail-order company customers
    3) Some sort of compensation BEYOND a simple CD exchange. ie - 3 free albums (not that I would touch them with a 10 foot pole, though) - so probably it should be a simple check for $25-50 (a worthwhile amount)
    4) A program for infected computers to get free software (rebates?) on updated anti-virus apps from a trusted 3rd party (Norton?) that eliminates this stuff
    5) Some sort of decent-size antitrust settlement to Apple for engineering something that doesn't allow LEGALLY purchased songs to be played specifically on iPods
    6) And... anyone in Sony who allowed this to happen or had any role in the decision making OR execution should immediately resign (or be fired)

20. Lertie32 thread starter macrumors member

Everyone noticing

Wow. I originally posted about this topic 15 DAYS AGO and it is now in the news everywhere. It was even on our local news last night. Someone just sent me an email with this report from "Wired" that has even more analysis and updates.

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html

"It's yet another situation where Macintosh users can watch, amused (well, mostly) from the sidelines, wondering why anyone still uses Microsoft Windows."

No joke!