Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For those customers looking to confirm whether they are eligible for fully-subsidized or early upgrade pricing for the iPhone 5 or interested in comparing service plans across carriers, Apple is offering a pair of tools through its online store to assist with finding such information.

iphone_5_upgrade_eligibility.jpg

Featured on the iPhone 5 store page, the eligibility tool allows current iPhone owners to select their current carrier from among AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon, and enter some information to retrieve personalized information on pricing for the iPhone 5. Given that the iPhone 4S debuted just eleven months ago, many iPhone 4S customers are not yet eligible for full or even partial subsidy on the iPhone 5, so they may want to confirm launch day pricing on their accounts and see the dates when they will qualify for improved pricing.

A second tool available through the iPhone 5 store page allows users to quickly and easily view service plans from among the three major U.S. carriers in order to help customers decide which carrier and plan will best meet their needs.

iphone_5_plan_comparison.jpg

AT&T offers the greatest number of basic options, with customers able to choose from individual and family plans, as well as the carrier's new Mobile Share plans. Sprint provides several options for both individual and family plans, while Verizon is now offering only Share Everything plans with unlimited voice and text.

Customers can select one option from each of the three carriers and then view their details side-by-side to help compare each company's offerings.

Article Link: Check Upgrade Eligibility and Service Plans for iPhone 5 Through Apple's Online Store

thacube

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
was thinking about trading in my AT&T iPhone 4S for a Verizon iPhone 5, but I'd go from paying $89/month for 450 min, unlimited text and 3gb data to $110 for unlimited minutes/text and 4gb data. $20 a month extra sounds steep, even for Verizon's LTE network

Sainte

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I've been able to upgrade at the fully subsidized price since the 3G. Now AT&T has this iPhone upgrade price even for those who have been with them since the first iPhone. Thought it was a way to thank & keep loyal customers. Guess it'll be time to move to Verizon when my contract is up...

thacube

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
I've been able to upgrade at the fully subsidized price since the 3G. Now AT&T has this iPhone upgrade price even for those who have been with them since the first iPhone. Thought it was a way to thank & keep loyal customers. Guess it'll be time to move to Verizon when my contract is up...

i get my upgrade price a few months after release. i got the iphone 4 in sept of 10 and got the upgrade price for my 4s in november 11. im hoping a few months wait will pay off :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
i get my upgrade price a few months after release. i got the iphone 4 in sept of 10 and got the upgrade price for my 4s in november 11. im hoping a few months wait will pay off :)

How is that possible? AT&T did away with the one upgrade a year. I was on the phone for 2 hours this morning because a rep in March told me I would still be able to upgrade at the full upgrade discount in October, but he never noted the account as promised. Now I'm out of luck and nothing can be done. It's crap.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Too bad :( I wanted to jump to Verizon, but they’re generous with voice minutes and stingy with data—and in essence they make you pay for hotspot, which isn’t worth the $20 to me.

AT&T is stingy with voice/SMS and “generous” (to use the term loosely) with data. That’s a better deal for me I guess. AT&T’s $70 base plan meets my needs, and I’d have to go to $90 or higher on Verizon.

Sprint? $10 more, but data is “unlimited” (to use THAT term loosely). IF their coverage matches AT&T and Verizon, I’d consider it.

(My main beef with AT&T is the horrible DSL. Their cell service has been fine. I wanted to ditch the company, but not to pay more.)

lj2

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
AT&T has changed the definition of "early upgrade."

According to the forums over at AT&T, this year is different for the iPhone 5, than it was for the iPhone 4S last year.

Last fall you may have only had to wait a month or so to do an "early upgrade" of your iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S.

This year though "early upgrade" is now defined as 20 months, not 12 months, as before. In other words you will have to wait another 8 months, until April-June, 2013 to avoid paying a $250 "early upgrade" fee.

You can verify all of this by going to https://www.att.com/phoneupgrade/ and running the numbers yourself for your own iPhone.

thacube

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
According to the forums over at AT&T, this year is different for the iPhone 5, than it was for the iPhone 4S last year.

Last fall you may have only had to wait a month or so to do an "early upgrade" of your iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4S.

This year though "early upgrade" is now defined as 20 months, not 12 months, as before. In other words you will have to wait another 8 months, until April-June, 2013 to avoid paying a $250 "early upgrade" fee.

You can verify all of this by going to https://www.att.com/phoneupgrade/ and running the numbers yourself for your own iPhone.

damn lol that sucks

Sainte

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
How is that possible? AT&T did away with the one upgrade a year. I was on the phone for 2 hours this morning because a rep in March told me I would still be able to upgrade at the full upgrade discount in October, but he never noted the account as promised. Now I'm out of luck and nothing can be done. It's crap.

Yeah. Looks like AT&T is feeling the bite from the competition and is looking for any way to add revenue. Thought they where doing fully subsidized for customers who have been with them & upgraded every year. I think a lot folks will be switching after this.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah. Looks like AT&T is feeling the bite from the competition and is looking for any way to add revenue. Thought they where doing fully subsidized for customers who have been with them & upgraded every year. I think a lot folks will be switching after this.

Yeah even the rep I spoke to was in the same boat. Se did everything she could but no one higher up would budge. It feels better knowing that AT&T is even screwing their employees over, not just customers. Regardless, AT&T is going to lose a lot of business because of this. In the end they are hurting themselves. Instead of signing millions of new contracts they are losing a lot of customers.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Does anyone know if they are doing early upgrades on ATT like they've done in the past? Thanks!

No, that's what everything so far in the thread states.... The only "early" upgrade if you are eligible is an additional $250 charge when signing a new 2 year contract..

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What about Canada?
I think it's ridiculous that Rogers has a 3 year upgrade period.

Yea. But you guys have to a competent healthcare system, so we're even! :D

Sprint? $10 more, but data is “unlimited” (to use THAT term loosely). IF their coverage matches AT&T and Verizon, I’d consider it.

It's worth noting that Sprint phones can roam on Verizon for free, 3G data included. In Boston, Sprint's coverage is good. However when I go up north to camp or ski, I often roam on Verizon just fine without incurring any additional charges. In essence, you get Sprint's affordable pricing with the benefit of Verizon's network.

Also, ALL mobile-to-mobile calls are free, regardless of carrier, all the time. Not just to a select few phone numbers like with other carriers. Nights and weekends start at 7pm, not 9pm like other carriers. So your monthly block of minutes is only for calls with landline numbers on weekdays before 7pm. My family talks a lot and we barely use any minutes (we talk approximately 3000 minutes total; but our plan is for 700 minutes, of which we use about 300).

Not sure about LTE roaming; probably no roaming agreements with LTE on any carrier until it's very widespread.

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
It won't let me check; keeps saying my Verizon password is incorrect. I've made sure that it isn't, so I don't know what's going on.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Too bad :( I wanted to jump to Verizon, but they’re generous with voice minutes and stingy with data—and in essence they make you pay for hotspot, which isn’t worth the $20 to me.

AT&T is stingy with voice/SMS and “generous” (to use the term loosely) with data. That’s a better deal for me I guess. AT&T’s $70 base plan meets my needs, and I’d have to go to $90 or higher on Verizon.

Did you miss the fact that AT&T and Verizon moved to shared data plans for smartphones? There are no more voice/text limitations on either of them, it's ALL data tiers.

AT&T will let you get old plans, for now, but Verizon forces ALL new subsidized phones onto the shared data plans. No ifs, ands, or buts!

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
AT&T executives must be using reverse psychology when executing their business model. Let see, we have all these loyal Apple iPhone customers even with expanding competition. Let's see how much pain we can inflict ( no FaceTime without WiFi & 20 month upgrade discount cycles) and see who leaves and who stays with us, then grudgingly give in at the last minute. Sounds like Russian Roulette to me.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Don't forget the $36 upgrade fee. You know, the fee they charge you to allow you to buy something from them.

EricSjos

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
Wish the ****ing site would let me check. It's been telling me "There was an error processing your request" since the site went live yesterday. Has me worried I won't be able to pre order tonight.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm wondering if it would be possible to buy an AT&T at full price off contract? Like we were able to for the 4s last year.?

Didn't that come out in November though? I didn't think it was an option at pre-order/release date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.