Checking for New Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emtp6811, Feb 18, 2007.

1. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

I use mail.app to access my school's IMAP account as well as my gmail account. My problem is that the program never seems to check for new mail until I open it, even if I already have mail running (triangle shows in the dock). I have the preference pane set to check for new mail every minute and I have downloaded IMAP-Idle, but neither seem to work. Anytime I open mail.app, I suddenly get a flurry of new mail notices from MailNotifier and MailUnreadMenu.

Any suggestions?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Have you tried clicking the button called 'Get mail' instead of reopening the app?

3. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

Problem with Mail

Actually, this user is correct. I run a small ISP and using Mail.app with IMAP, the Mac won't check mail everytime you click the Get Mail button. I think Apple chose to do this to keep load down on mail servers (thank you, sorta), but when you are on the phone with someone and they say "check your mail" and it's not there. It's annoying. If you click the button it "pretends" to check but it does not. Quitting Mail and Re-Opening will check your mail immediately. I really wish they'd fix that. It's the only reason I don't use Mail.app right now.

Other options are to use Thunderbird or (ugg) MS Entourage. Entourage is actually pretty good and works well with other Windows users.

Marc

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I disagree. I use mail.app with an IMAP server and it checks for mail every time I hit the Get Mail button.

5. emtp6811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Get Mail button

I have tried using the get mail button, but it does not always work either. I even check directly on my gmail and IMAP server to make sure that yes, new mail is shown there, but it doesn't forward to my mail.app until it feels like it. I think that the scenario Marco describes is probably what is happening. But even so, should I really have to go through the process of hitting the get mail button?? It's supposed to automatically scan every minute!

I would like to find some way to resolve this with mail.app, but if there are no suggestions on how to go about that, are there any good apps that would replace mail.app on the desktop?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In Mail->Preferences...->Accounts, does that account have the proper options checked?

MailCheck.png

7. dead phish head macrumors member

New mail in my IMAP account shows up as soon as I get it, I don't even have to hit the 'Get Mail' button.

8. emtp6811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup... all checked.

Do I need to have Mail.app running all the time then? I have it as a hidden login item, but its never hidden when my computer starts up, so I quit it. Maybe I should stop doing this and come to grips with allowing an application in my ever-so-clean dock (Dang QuickSilver addiction!).

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

You can go to mail preferences and chose how often to check for mail, I have it set for check every minute and it works fine.

10. emtp6811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Done. Doesn't work for me unless the app is running.