Checking ibook screen before buying(UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by caveman_uk, Aug 9, 2005.

1. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I realise this is related to the current dead pixels thread but it is sort of different.

Has anyone in the UK managed to check a laptop/screen before they handed over the cash? I guess John Lewis is your best (two year warranty too) but I wondered if anyone had played the 'I will buy this but I want to see it running first' card?
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No but then I've also never tried. As far as John Lewis goes, you might have trouble doing that these days since these days, their stock isn't held in a stockroom near the department but buried in the depths of the building. When you buy the item, you're given a receipt to go collect it from customer collections which is generally on the ground floor and somewhere you can park. Depends on which one you are going to but I know Oxford St, Bluewater and Peter Jones work on this principle now.
  3. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Yeah its an obvious benefit to be able to check it first, but you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act anyways if you take it home and see dead pixels..
  4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I'm a US customer but when I bought my powerbook last year I made them let me look at it before I bought it. Good thing I did too as the first two of them I checked out had dead pixels :eek:
  5. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    UK Customer

I purchased mine from PC World here in Britain, and I made them show me the unit working from the power plug.

As it happens, there were not any problems with it, and I got to see it working. Don't settle for anything less!
  6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I didn't get to see mine working (12 rev a PB) but all turned out pretty well when I bought it (2 years ago.) Although, I do have one pixel that works great for all colors except stays a mid shade blue. To tell you the truth though, I've only noticed it maybe a dozen times in the 2 years I've had it, and I use this thing daily.
  7. bjoern_kah macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2005
    in europe we have a two-week-return warranty. here in germany i asked several retailers if i can open the package and try the ibook and send it back if i do not want it. they all (including apple shop) told me that it is possible and i even could use the machine for two weeks. the return would be without additional costs.

thats nice. i had a lot of trouble with my first alu powerbook (white spots, etc). now i would give it back immediately instead of waiting several weeks for repair...