Checking pixels when buy iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by john_satc, Sep 10, 2005.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2005
    B'ham Uk
    I am going to but an iMac today from the apple store in birmingham. I heard from many people on here that it is safest to check instore that all the pixels work right??? Do I just ask the sales guy to take it out and turn it on so we can check? Can I refuse the iMac if there is 1 or 2 dead pixels or is their a specific amount of dead pixels needed for me to refuse it?
    cheers, jon
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    Dead pixels are not very common in iMac's so i wouldnt worry about it, also you probably wouldnt notice them instore if the employee put the iMac on as they are very hard to see, they are usually only seen in a dark room when the screen goes black....

Basically don't worry about it as i doubt you will have a probelm with dead pixels, just go out and get your iMac and enjoy it,

3. llothar macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2005
    Set the background to black color (no image) and you can see the dead pixels immediately.

In mainland Europe you have to accept upto 9 dead pixel on a 17" monitor.
  4. swy32x macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2005
    Hmm, if theres a dead pixel and you check it instore you should be able to say - "No, I want a different one" and they'll grab a new one

BUT if you take it home, then find out that there are some, then go back to the store you won't be able to swap it.
  5. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I tried asking to check a machine before I bought it when I bought my powerbook. He said he knew what I was trying to do and he said he appreciated why but he couldn't let me do it because if I rejected the machine because it had a dead pixel he'd be stuck with an open-box mac. Apple wouldn't take it back because a single dead pixel was fine with them but he couldn't sell it for full price because it had been opened.

This was John Lewis - you may get someone less clued up who says yes! :rolleyes:
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    That sounds right. Can't blame them, though.

If you get someone who doesn't know what he or she is doing, then it may work.
  7. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    I was going to say 'Buy it on-line' - you have 14 days to send it back for whatever reason under the distance selling regulations.
    But Apple would charge £60 (plus the transport costs) for returning an iMac, which is a bit steep.
    Abstract said
    I think its perfectly reasonable to insist on inspecting the product in-store. If its got dead pixels which concern you, but seemingly not Apple or John Lewis, then they can just put it back in the box. If they refuse then go somewhere else, and tell them why, just so they know.
    Sounds to me that John Lewis are more worried about their cardboard boxes than their customers.
  8. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Their point would be is that it's then an opened box. It is not worth as much as an unopened box. They'd end up having to sell it for less.

In the case of John Lewis it's not like they've got tonnes of stock. Try getting a powerbook or ibook from them right now. They're thin on the ground. If you get the arse about them not letting you check a mac for dead pixels, there's plenty of other customers behind you.

On the plus side of John Lewis, they give double the warranty that Apple does and they have a reputation of being more generous about giving replacement machines than Apple (Apple likes to keep trying to fix lemons).
  9. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    Had no problem when I bought an iBook over the summer. Once bought, the salesguy took me over to the Genius Bar (I got a priority bump-up to first in line), they opened the box, plugged in to power up, then let me check.

Perfect screen, no problems.
  10. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2005
    London, UK
    I am just suffering with this problem right now.

The screen on my iMac G5 20" has 1 (yep just one) pixel stuck on pink.

I informed Apple. Initially they tried to get me to repair it (ignorant technical support). But soon I was told that because I was still within the 14 day period they said they will exchange it. They said that I will have to pay NO charge for delivery or returning.

Currently I am waiting for my new iMac and waiting to hear from their couriers so that I can return my current one.

Hope that helps.
  11. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    My brother bought an LCD at Sam's Club and they let him take my iBook into the store and check for dead pixels before it bought it. That was nice of them.
  12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Yeah, but what would have happened if the screen hadn't been perfect? Since you had already bought it, I doubt they would just go to the back and get another one. I think for the sales associates who know what they are doing, they're not supposed to let you check because it's Apple's policy to allow a certain number of defective pixels before they exchange it.

If they don't let you check it in-store, I suggest you buy one and check it right when you get home. If you see a dead pixel, call Apple's tech support and try to get them to replace the screen. If they don't, keep calling and try another person.
  13. Mac macrumors member

Jan 8, 2004