checksum error - installing Gaim through Fink

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cb911, Mar 30, 2005.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've just been trying to install Gaim - it's been compiling & doing it's thing for the last 3.5 hours, and now i get this error:
    Code:
    The checksum of the file isoENT-tar.gz of package
    sgml-entities-iso8879-1986-3 is incorrect. The most likely cause for this is
    a corrupted or incomplete download
    Expected: b2c8d9489be92636d7ddc5878d7d2b14

Actual: eba1addd12a598ee71c3f5d82956abd6 
    It is recommended that you
    download it again. How do you want to proceed?

(1)      Give up
    (2)      Delete it and download again
    (3)      Assume it is a partial download and try to continue
    (4)      Don't download, use existing file

Make your choice:  [1]
    now i've already tried options 2 and 3, both times i get the same checksum error. i don't really want to give up... i suppose i could try option 4 to use the existing file... but then it may not be stable & it might have other problems etc.

well if anyone's come accross this checksum problem - i just thought i'd check before going ahead with the existing file and risking a dodgy install. thanks for any help. :)

2. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

okay, i got this issue all cleared up. :)

it turns out that lots of people are having trouble getting Gaim to install via Fink source. i think everyone has had some problem that prevented them from finishing the install. it turns out that if this happens you should just use Fink Commander and install Gaim from the binary instead of source. that's just what i did and everything is working fine now. :)

3. whenpaulsparks macrumors regular

i have tried and tried and tried to get gaim installed and running. through fink, through sources... none of it works, heck if i know why. but honestly, it's not worth your time, unless someone releases a binary. adium uses the gaim library, and has a much better UI. gaim doesnt even work with file transfer correctly, neither does adium... so ichat works for that.

if you really are hell-bent on getting gaim running on a mac, download the Ubuntu Linux PowerPC live CD and boot from it.

4. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

do you have the Developer Tools and the BSD subsystem installed? well i suppose you would if you've got Fink...

i don't know why it isn't working for you... the binary installed fine for me the first time. :confused: now if only there was a URL for the binary so it didn't have to be installed through Fink.

i was using Adium previously because i have a few real-life buddies on MSN. Adium was just messign up beyond belief - not connecting, now being able to cancel the connect - it was pretty much useless. Gaim connected fine straight up. so i'm happy now. :)